Jun 14, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Kevin Youkilis played in all 18 innings of yesterday’s affair with the Oakland Athletics, then woke up this morning with numbness in his foot. As a result, the Yankees have placed him on the 15-day disabled list and will have him see a specialist over the weekend, per the YES Network.
Youkilis missed 30 games between the end of April and the end of May with a bulging disk. Signed to a one-year, $12 million contract during the off-season, he will have played in only 28 of 81 games (35%), assuming he misses the minimum amount of time.
In a handful of other moves, the Yankees optioned pitcher Adam Warren to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, moved utilityman Eduardo Nunez to the 60-day DL, and recalled outfielder Thomas Neal and pitcher Chris Bootcheck from Triple-A.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)