Jun 14, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Kevin Youkilis played in all 18 innings of yesterday’s affair with the Oakland Athletics, then woke up this morning with numbness in his foot. As a result, the Yankees have placed him on the 15-day disabled list and will have him see a specialist over the weekend, per the YES Network.
Youkilis missed 30 games between the end of April and the end of May with a bulging disk. Signed to a one-year, $12 million contract during the off-season, he will have played in only 28 of 81 games (35%), assuming he misses the minimum amount of time.
In a handful of other moves, the Yankees optioned pitcher Adam Warren to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, moved utilityman Eduardo Nunez to the 60-day DL, and recalled outfielder Thomas Neal and pitcher Chris Bootcheck from Triple-A.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)