Jun 15, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
The Red Sox were hoping that Clay Buchholz would be ready to make his next scheduled start during Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Rays, but Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports that he has been scratched due to continued discomfort in his neck.
Buchholz left his start last Saturday due to neck tightness. While Red Sox manager John Farrell said that he “felt a little bit better” while throwing today, he’s not ready to test things with a bullpen session. Felix Doubront is now scheduled to pitch one of the two games on Tuesday, but the Red Sox may end up placing Buchholz on the disabled list in order to make room for the other starter.
“Yeah, we are (considering a trip to the DL) and Clay’s well aware of that and we had a chance to talk about where our threshold might be to make a decision,” Farrell said. “Still, bottom line being we’re not going to put him out there until we go through the normal build-up and make sure he’s in a safe place physically.’’
Buchholz leads the majors with a 1.71 ERA and is tied with Detroit’s Max Scherzer for the American League lead with nine wins. The 28-year-old right-hander missed a start late last month due to soreness in his AC joint, but it’s not believed to be related to his current injury.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)