Jun 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
There was a scary moment in last night’s Cubs-Mets game, as outfielder David DeJesus crashed into the center field fence in the third inning while chasing a ball off the bat of Juan Lagares. Here’s a link to the video.
DeJesus writhed in pain on the ground for a few minutes before getting to his feet and walking off the field under his own power. He was diagnosed with a right shoulder sprain and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that he will be placed on the disabled list.
The Cubs plan to wait for the swelling in the shoulder to go down before sending DeJesus for an MRI, so it’s not clear how long he’ll be sidelined. As of now, Cubs manager Dale Sveum hopes that he’ll only have to miss a few weeks.
DeJesus, 33, is batting .260/.318/.445 with six home runs, 21 RBI, and three stolen bases in 59 games this season. A potential trade chip for the Cubs, his contract includes a $6.5 million club option for next season or a $1.5 million buyout.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)