Jun 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
There was a scary moment in last night’s Cubs-Mets game, as outfielder David DeJesus crashed into the center field fence in the third inning while chasing a ball off the bat of Juan Lagares. Here’s a link to the video.
DeJesus writhed in pain on the ground for a few minutes before getting to his feet and walking off the field under his own power. He was diagnosed with a right shoulder sprain and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that he will be placed on the disabled list.
The Cubs plan to wait for the swelling in the shoulder to go down before sending DeJesus for an MRI, so it’s not clear how long he’ll be sidelined. As of now, Cubs manager Dale Sveum hopes that he’ll only have to miss a few weeks.
DeJesus, 33, is batting .260/.318/.445 with six home runs, 21 RBI, and three stolen bases in 59 games this season. A potential trade chip for the Cubs, his contract includes a $6.5 million club option for next season or a $1.5 million buyout.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)