Jun 15, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Cueto was placed on the disabled list on June 1 with a lat strain, so he’ll only miss the minimum 15 days. While he didn’t make a minor league rehab start, he made it through a couple of bullpen sessions this week without any issues.
Cueto has had two stints on the disabled list this year due to the lat issue, but he’s been excellent when on the mound, posting a 2.17 ERA and 34/13 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings over six starts. The Reds are surely hoping that the latest break will take care of the problem for good.
While the assumption has been that left-hander Tony Cingrani would head back to Triple-A Louisville when Cueto is ready to return, Reds manager Dusty Baker hinted today that they could keep him around in the bullpen. It could be a matter of necessity at the moment, as both Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton are on the disabled list.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 6
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)