Jun 15, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Cueto was placed on the disabled list on June 1 with a lat strain, so he’ll only miss the minimum 15 days. While he didn’t make a minor league rehab start, he made it through a couple of bullpen sessions this week without any issues.
Cueto has had two stints on the disabled list this year due to the lat issue, but he’s been excellent when on the mound, posting a 2.17 ERA and 34/13 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings over six starts. The Reds are surely hoping that the latest break will take care of the problem for good.
While the assumption has been that left-hander Tony Cingrani would head back to Triple-A Louisville when Cueto is ready to return, Reds manager Dusty Baker hinted today that they could keep him around in the bullpen. It could be a matter of necessity at the moment, as both Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton are on the disabled list.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)