Jun 15, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Cueto was placed on the disabled list on June 1 with a lat strain, so he’ll only miss the minimum 15 days. While he didn’t make a minor league rehab start, he made it through a couple of bullpen sessions this week without any issues.
Cueto has had two stints on the disabled list this year due to the lat issue, but he’s been excellent when on the mound, posting a 2.17 ERA and 34/13 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings over six starts. The Reds are surely hoping that the latest break will take care of the problem for good.
While the assumption has been that left-hander Tony Cingrani would head back to Triple-A Louisville when Cueto is ready to return, Reds manager Dusty Baker hinted today that they could keep him around in the bullpen. It could be a matter of necessity at the moment, as both Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton are on the disabled list.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)