Jun 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
The Reds are already without left-hander Sean Marshall due to a shoulder sprain, but their bullpen was handed another blow today, as Jonathan Broxton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.
Broxton allowed the winning run in Thursday’s 14-inning loss to the Cubs, after which he revealed that he has been dealing with elbow soreness. So yes, Reds manager Dusty Baker turned to an injured pitcher as opposed to using Aroldis Chapman. Oh well.
Broxton, who was brought back over the winter on a three-year, $21 million contract, owns a 4.33 ERA and 20/11 K/BB ratio in 27 innings this season. It sounds like the Reds could be on the lookout for bullpen help leading up to the trade deadline next month.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)