Jun 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
The Reds are already without left-hander Sean Marshall due to a shoulder sprain, but their bullpen was handed another blow today, as Jonathan Broxton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.
Broxton allowed the winning run in Thursday’s 14-inning loss to the Cubs, after which he revealed that he has been dealing with elbow soreness. So yes, Reds manager Dusty Baker turned to an injured pitcher as opposed to using Aroldis Chapman. Oh well.
Broxton, who was brought back over the winter on a three-year, $21 million contract, owns a 4.33 ERA and 20/11 K/BB ratio in 27 innings this season. It sounds like the Reds could be on the lookout for bullpen help leading up to the trade deadline next month.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)