Jun 15, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
MLB handed down suspensions yesterday for Tuesday’s benches-clearing brawl between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers, with Arizona’s Ian Kennedy receiving a 10-game suspension and Eric Hinske getting five games. J.P. Howell and Skip Schumaker both got two games on the Dodgers’ side of things while Ronald Belisario served his one-game suspension last night.
There was some frustration from the Diamondbacks’ side about the punishments levied by MLB, especially in regard to Hinske, who appeared to attempt to play peacemaker. Zack Greinke ended up only being fined for his involvement, despite hitting Miguel Montero in the back with a pitch in retaliation for Kennedy hitting Yasiel Puig in the face in the previous inning. Unwritten rules can sure be silly sometimes. And as we saw from Kennedy later throwing in the direction of Greinke’s head, they are also potentially very dangerous.
While we’re now four days removed from the brawl, Montero’s comments to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona indicates that emotions are still running pretty high.
Montero said he did not expect to be hit but also did not want to start anything afterward.
“The last thing I wanted to do was get suspended. I know he’s a little chicken(expletive). I didn’t want to fight,” Montero said of Greinke.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 141
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (141)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)