Jun 15, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
MLB handed down suspensions yesterday for Tuesday’s benches-clearing brawl between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers, with Arizona’s Ian Kennedy receiving a 10-game suspension and Eric Hinske getting five games. J.P. Howell and Skip Schumaker both got two games on the Dodgers’ side of things while Ronald Belisario served his one-game suspension last night.
There was some frustration from the Diamondbacks’ side about the punishments levied by MLB, especially in regard to Hinske, who appeared to attempt to play peacemaker. Zack Greinke ended up only being fined for his involvement, despite hitting Miguel Montero in the back with a pitch in retaliation for Kennedy hitting Yasiel Puig in the face in the previous inning. Unwritten rules can sure be silly sometimes. And as we saw from Kennedy later throwing in the direction of Greinke’s head, they are also potentially very dangerous.
While we’re now four days removed from the brawl, Montero’s comments to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona indicates that emotions are still running pretty high.
Montero said he did not expect to be hit but also did not want to start anything afterward.
“The last thing I wanted to do was get suspended. I know he’s a little chicken(expletive). I didn’t want to fight,” Montero said of Greinke.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (80)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)