Jun 15, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
MLB handed down suspensions yesterday for Tuesday’s benches-clearing brawl between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers, with Arizona’s Ian Kennedy receiving a 10-game suspension and Eric Hinske getting five games. J.P. Howell and Skip Schumaker both got two games on the Dodgers’ side of things while Ronald Belisario served his one-game suspension last night.
There was some frustration from the Diamondbacks’ side about the punishments levied by MLB, especially in regard to Hinske, who appeared to attempt to play peacemaker. Zack Greinke ended up only being fined for his involvement, despite hitting Miguel Montero in the back with a pitch in retaliation for Kennedy hitting Yasiel Puig in the face in the previous inning. Unwritten rules can sure be silly sometimes. And as we saw from Kennedy later throwing in the direction of Greinke’s head, they are also potentially very dangerous.
While we’re now four days removed from the brawl, Montero’s comments to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona indicates that emotions are still running pretty high.
Montero said he did not expect to be hit but also did not want to start anything afterward.
“The last thing I wanted to do was get suspended. I know he’s a little chicken(expletive). I didn’t want to fight,” Montero said of Greinke.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)