Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jun 15, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

Jose Fernandez AP AP

When we have talked about the Marlins this season, it usually hasn’t been about anything good. And understandably so. But after he surprisingly made the Opening Day roster, 20-year-old Jose Fernandez has been a pretty consistent bright spot.

Fernandez struck out a career-high 10 batters while allowing three runs — two earned — in seven innings last night in a 5-4 win over the Cardinals. In doing so, he became the first pitcher under the age of 21 to reach double-digit strikeouts in a game since the Mariners’ Felix Hernandez did it in 2007.

With the victory, Fernandez is now 4-3 with a 3.11 ERA and 77/27 K/BB ratio in 72 1/3 innings over his first 13 starts in the majors. He’s a pretty solid lock to represent the Marlins in next month’s All-Star Game.

Your Friday box scores:

Dodgers 0, Pirates 3

Nationals 1, Indians 2

Red Sox 0, Orioles 2

Royals 7, Rays 2

Brewers 3, Reds 4 (10 innings)

Blue Jays 8, Rangers 0

Cubs 6, Mets 3

White Sox 1, Astros 2

Giants 6, Braves 0

Tigers 4, Twins 0

Phillies 8, Rockies 7

Yankees 2, Angels 5

Diamondbacks 1, Padres 2

Mariners 3, Athletics 2

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM

A rather boring 8 to 0 win by Buehrle and the Jays, but Toronto fans will take it. They are playing the slumping Rangers at the right time. A couple of home runs and some situational hitting contributed to the win. Buehrle could have gone longer than 7 innings, but Loup and Oliver needed some work.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I’ll take being bored like this any day, PC. Buehrle was masterful and pulled his ERA under five with yet another terrific start. Impeccable location, good movement, not trying to strike guys out, working fast, and letting Arencibia call the game and frame the pitches did for Buehrle what it did for Esmil Rogers.

The Rangers go with Josh Lindblom this arvo: 5.91 ERA & 1.41 WHIP. Meh. He’s got a fearsome defence and (ordinarily) a good hitting lineup helping him, so it better be more “boredom” from Our Boys. RA Dickey going against them. He’s going to need to be better than his last start by a mile to get this done, though. The Rangers looked pretty fired up there last night.
      In fact, how about that Big CryBaby Elvis Andrus, eh? I certainly hope the Rangers Play by Play guys pointed out how childish he was for throwing his bat on the field after getting tossed. The pitch he was arguing was a strike, too.

Tsk. Crybaby.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

The Rangers announcers are probably home boys. I rather doubt that they would criticize the slumping Andrus that way.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

The point is that they SHOULD. The Andrus and the Bautista incidents are similar. If they let it slide without similar comment, then anything they have to say about Bautista can be discounted as fan reaction.

• historiophiliac - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Eh, they probably cut away to their Baseball Town video. BTW, I was happy when I looked up at the bar and saw you’d beaten the Rangers. No offense, but I kinda did a double-take to be sure. :)

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

No worries. I did the same double take when I saw Valverde held that 4 run lead to finish the game.

• historiophiliac - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Man, I held my breath so hard on that it probably came out both ends when I exhaled. He drives me to drink, that one.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I do the same breath hold thing when RA Dickey pitches. As he does today. I can’t hold my breath for 2 hours though, so I’m pretty dizzy and short of oxygen by the end of the 2nd inning. Good thing, too. Being a trifle light headed helps one not care too much about a 6 run deficit.

• historiophiliac - Jun 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Well, if you pass out, the dog will lick your face til you come around, but you could keep vodka and smelling salts handy, just in case. First Aid is important. Be prepared.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Falling through the ice will wake you right up, though.

2. Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

The Kid can also hit, by the way. He’s had three ribbies and a couple of doubles and he’s just finding his cleats. Maybe “Kid” will give way to “Babe” eventually.

Back through the chronosynclastic infundibulum. On this day in the parallel universe, the immortal Bob Miller gave up nine runs in four innings to the Colt 45s as the Houstonians dinged four times and skwished the ’62 Mutts 16-3. The Mutts fizzled to 18-48 while the Feesh were bloating to 20-46 and falling behind the Amazins in their race to infamy.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I’m pretty impressed with Your Keed, Fernandez. He throws a zillion mph, but he can dial it back and throw on the corners when need be. Pitching well above his years if you ask me. Nice to see The Iron Giant back and contributing to the cause with some hitting, too.

Incidentally, I have BOTH Stanton and Fernandez on my FL Team: The Rabid Beavers. As a reward to Mike Giancarlo, I’m giving him Brett Gardner’s spot in my out field today. I feel less dirty with Borg players on the bench looking up at Feesh players on the field, so even if he does little more than bunt the ball around, there will be less stain on my soul. Tell The Iron Giant to go yard 3 times tonight, eh? I’m getting killed this week and I really need the points.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I wasted the entire morning on useful things, so it’s nice to hit lunchtime, fix myself my usual tropical afternoon glass of shade grown in volcanic soil iced Galapagos arabica, kick back and speculate on the further adventures of the Iron Giant.

First of all, you have a choice of Rabid Beavers, Killer Beavers and Dire Beavers. Has changing diapers skewed your preferences in the direction of pathology?

I must say though, the Giant came off’n the DL and breezed through rehab and picked right up where he left off before the whammy of the hammy. Usually, it takes him some serious time to get his rhythm back. Perhaps he caught the first scent of the approaching trade deadline, like a fruit fly catching its first whiff of a ripening guava. It’s hard to tell whether the ambulatory tapeworms who run this club have actually got him socked and bagged or whether they’ll float his name out on the marketplace this season.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

The name is from this article:

Note that the human did not survive his encounter with the Giant Rat of My People.

Please trade Giancarlo North of the Border: thank you.

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I didn’t want to have to do this. Old Gator, please unleash the python: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/South-Florida-Mans-Bout-With-Burmese-Python-in-Everglades-Goes-Global-208628971.html

Your Rat is no match for an 18 foot python.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

“Old Gator, please unleash the python.”

Uh….

• nbjays - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! And she gives us hell for all the Johnson, Dickey and Wang jokes… priceless!

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I give you hell for all the Johnson, Wang, and Dickey jokes?! Nbjays, you must have me confused with somebody else. I’m usually a pioneer on this front, going frequently where no woman has gone, or should even want to go. I knew exactly what I was saying.

I wonder who would win in a fight between a Macondo python and a Canadian beaver. My money is on the python, but if the beaver wins, we now have a solution for the eradication of the invasive python species in the Everglades. Win-win, as these situations frequently are.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I your python right here, baby…

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I’m pressuring Congress to pass a bill bestowing full legal indigenousness on Burmese pythons.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM

That won’t save you from being savaged by a rabid beaver, though. Python’s are Me First, non-team players. Beavers on the other hand are the Ultimate Rodent Warriors, and will go to war for the right cause.

Now, if this was back in the day, when the DireBeaver Ruled the Earth, there would be no talk of this python-defend-us-from-Beaver, nonsense. But, since the DireBeaver expired (no doubt from a surfeit of being awesome), his smaller, but JUST as feisty and more dangerous little cousin, Castor Canadiensis, has stepped unto the breach, dear friends. No one need die, of course. Just stand clear when the Rabid Beavers are on the War Path. They’ll help themselves to the wood and be on their way without burning your capital…again.

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Lukescottsbedsidemanner, I love when you talk all serpentine.

3. historiophiliac - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Hey, you cowardly pitchers who keep intentionally walking MVP Miggy, you know what happens when you do that? That’s right. Prince Fielder gets it done. You should’ve just pitched to MVP Miggy. He didn’t go Boom! anyway. :( Ya cowards.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

.447 OBP – Miggy gets on base. It’s not Barry Bonds circa 2004 (.609 OBP) but it’s still awesome.

• historiophiliac - Jun 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Yeah, he’s awesome. :)

4. royalintx - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Elvis is always whining about balls and strikes after years of learning this behavior from Kinsler.
    And no, the Rangers announcers don’t call them out for it. In fact, Grieve complains about balls and strikes all the time too.

• historiophiliac - Jun 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Really, Texans in general are abominably poor sports. (Astros fans less so because of The Humbling)

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Texans are in need of humbling? Who knew?

True story. Someone I know needed a driver’s license renewal in Texas some years ago. He’s not a Texas native. When he was told what it would entail (I forget the details), he expressed surprised at the process. The DMV lady responded, “Honey, this ain’t the state of Texas. This is the country of Texas.” I see.

5. stanleyfrankmusial - Jun 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Old Gator, I was really looking forward to your commentary today. Where have the Feesh been hiding that keed? I can’t remember the last time I saw such a big, sweeping curveball with horizontal movement like that.

I fully expect our respective teams to return to form this afternoon, but surely last night heightened your spirits?

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I have my ascendant moments – many of which seem to involve the Kid – but with this team, or, to be more exact, this ownership – the fecal equivalent of a pyroclastic flow – it would take a massive overdose of Lexapro to heighten my spirits, kinda like Terence Stamp chugging that cylinder of haggah-aah at the end of Alien Nation. Yeah, the Feesh won’t be facing a guy nursing himself off the DL today, it’ll be Lance (8-1) Lynn, and it’ll be Tom (0-4) Koehler in the mound for the Feesh instead of das Wunderkind. Back to normal, indeed.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

By the way, I’m planning to relax on Father’s Day tomorrow and take some yaghe, then just sit back and try to come up with a Cuban-inspired name for the Kid. I feel the ghost of Gary Carter at my shoulder, lending encouragement. He wants his name back.

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM

How about El Niño Pescador? It suits him. Niño for short.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

“Pescador” has some rancid freeassociations with the Elian Gonzalez fiasco. I think the Kid will have babes draped all over him even without the Young Pioneers uniform, you know?

6. deathmonkey41 - Jun 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The Yankees have gotten worse since Teixiera has come back. It’s almost as if the chemistry the role players had has been snuffed out.

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Is this sarcasm?

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Nope, just a connoisseur’s brand of irony you won’t be able to find at Wal-Mart.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Speaking of which, have you gotten as far as the watermelon scene yet?

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I’m not as far as I would like yet. I had to take a brief reprieve. The dark themes intersecting with some things going on in my life were affecting my mood for the worse. It’s powerful stuff. I told you I’d cry like a bitch.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

If the watermelon scene intersects with anything in your life, you’re probably doing much better than you think.

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I haven’t reached that part yet. I’ll pick the book back up this weekend.

7. kcrobert10 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Royals are rolling.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4762)