Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Alex Cobb never lost consciousness after taking an Eric Hosmer line drive off the right side of his head on Saturday night, but he was diagnosed at Bayfront Medical Center with a mild concussion and is going to miss at least one turn in the Rays’ rotation.
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Cobb has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. Josh Lueke was recalled from Triple-A Durham on Sunday morning to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot. He is going to pitch out of the bullpen until a fill-in for Cobb is called up later this week.
Cobb has taken a big step forward this year, boasting a 3.01 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 83 2/3 innings. The hope is that the 24-year-old righty will be ready to return to the mound after one week of rest.
UPDATE, 3:49 PM ET: According to Smith, Cobb has been released from Bayfront Medical Center.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)