Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Alex Cobb never lost consciousness after taking an Eric Hosmer line drive off the right side of his head on Saturday night, but he was diagnosed at Bayfront Medical Center with a mild concussion and is going to miss at least one turn in the Rays’ rotation.
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Cobb has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. Josh Lueke was recalled from Triple-A Durham on Sunday morning to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot. He is going to pitch out of the bullpen until a fill-in for Cobb is called up later this week.
Cobb has taken a big step forward this year, boasting a 3.01 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 83 2/3 innings. The hope is that the 24-year-old righty will be ready to return to the mound after one week of rest.
UPDATE, 3:49 PM ET: According to Smith, Cobb has been released from Bayfront Medical Center.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)