Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Alex Cobb never lost consciousness after taking an Eric Hosmer line drive off the right side of his head on Saturday night, but he was diagnosed at Bayfront Medical Center with a mild concussion and is going to miss at least one turn in the Rays’ rotation.
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Cobb has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. Josh Lueke was recalled from Triple-A Durham on Sunday morning to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot. He is going to pitch out of the bullpen until a fill-in for Cobb is called up later this week.
Cobb has taken a big step forward this year, boasting a 3.01 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 83 2/3 innings. The hope is that the 24-year-old righty will be ready to return to the mound after one week of rest.
UPDATE, 3:49 PM ET: According to Smith, Cobb has been released from Bayfront Medical Center.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 14
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 47
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)