Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Alex Cobb never lost consciousness after taking an Eric Hosmer line drive off the right side of his head on Saturday night, but he was diagnosed at Bayfront Medical Center with a mild concussion and is going to miss at least one turn in the Rays’ rotation.
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Cobb has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. Josh Lueke was recalled from Triple-A Durham on Sunday morning to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot. He is going to pitch out of the bullpen until a fill-in for Cobb is called up later this week.
Cobb has taken a big step forward this year, boasting a 3.01 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 83 2/3 innings. The hope is that the 24-year-old righty will be ready to return to the mound after one week of rest.
UPDATE, 3:49 PM ET: According to Smith, Cobb has been released from Bayfront Medical Center.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)