Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Alex Cobb never lost consciousness after taking an Eric Hosmer line drive off the right side of his head on Saturday night, but he was diagnosed at Bayfront Medical Center with a mild concussion and is going to miss at least one turn in the Rays’ rotation.
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Cobb has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. Josh Lueke was recalled from Triple-A Durham on Sunday morning to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot. He is going to pitch out of the bullpen until a fill-in for Cobb is called up later this week.
Cobb has taken a big step forward this year, boasting a 3.01 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 83 2/3 innings. The hope is that the 24-year-old righty will be ready to return to the mound after one week of rest.
UPDATE, 3:49 PM ET: According to Smith, Cobb has been released from Bayfront Medical Center.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (341)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)