Jun 16, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Alex Rodriguez moved his rehab from New York to the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa, Florida last month and has slowly been introducing different baseball-related activities into his workout plan. Saturday saw probably the biggest step yet.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, A-Rod ran the bases “at 75-percent effort” for the first time since undergoing surgery on his hip in mid-January. Rodriguez, who has been taking regular batting practice for the past few weeks, reported no physical issues during or after the base-running.
If everything continues to go according to plan and the Biogenesis stuff doesn’t result in a suspension, the veteran third baseman should be back on the Yankees’ active roster shortly after the All-Star break (with Derek Jeter soon to follow). Yankees third basemen have hit .252/.301/.346 this season. A-Rod, who is obviously on a steep career decline, still managed a decent .272/.353/.430 batting line in 2012.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)