Jun 16, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Despite pitching well throughout most of today’s game against the Rockies, Phillies starter Cole Hamels was once again saddled with a loss, his tenth of the season. Aside from a solo home run by Wilin Rosario in the second, Hamels stayed out of trouble in six innings. In the seventh, frustration with home plate umpire Marvin Hudson’s inconsistent strike zone and his offense’s Little League approach to hitting elicited a rare emotional outburst from the left-hander. The Rockies scored two more runs off of Hamels in the seventh, and another two off of Justin De Fratus in the eighth as they went on to win 5-2.
Hamels certainly started off the year pitching poorly, but he has come on as of late. Over his last six starts spanning 37.1 innings, Hamels has struck out 42, walked four, and allowed only three home runs. In those starts, he is 1-4 and has received a grand total of 17 runs of support. Only 12 of those runs were scored while Hamels was the pitcher of record.
The Phillies signed Hamels to a six-year, $144 million contract extension on July 25 last year, locking up the lefty through at least 2018, when he will be 34 years old.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)