Jun 16, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Despite pitching well throughout most of today’s game against the Rockies, Phillies starter Cole Hamels was once again saddled with a loss, his tenth of the season. Aside from a solo home run by Wilin Rosario in the second, Hamels stayed out of trouble in six innings. In the seventh, frustration with home plate umpire Marvin Hudson’s inconsistent strike zone and his offense’s Little League approach to hitting elicited a rare emotional outburst from the left-hander. The Rockies scored two more runs off of Hamels in the seventh, and another two off of Justin De Fratus in the eighth as they went on to win 5-2.
Hamels certainly started off the year pitching poorly, but he has come on as of late. Over his last six starts spanning 37.1 innings, Hamels has struck out 42, walked four, and allowed only three home runs. In those starts, he is 1-4 and has received a grand total of 17 runs of support. Only 12 of those runs were scored while Hamels was the pitcher of record.
The Phillies signed Hamels to a six-year, $144 million contract extension on July 25 last year, locking up the lefty through at least 2018, when he will be 34 years old.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)