Jun 16, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Despite pitching well throughout most of today’s game against the Rockies, Phillies starter Cole Hamels was once again saddled with a loss, his tenth of the season. Aside from a solo home run by Wilin Rosario in the second, Hamels stayed out of trouble in six innings. In the seventh, frustration with home plate umpire Marvin Hudson’s inconsistent strike zone and his offense’s Little League approach to hitting elicited a rare emotional outburst from the left-hander. The Rockies scored two more runs off of Hamels in the seventh, and another two off of Justin De Fratus in the eighth as they went on to win 5-2.
Hamels certainly started off the year pitching poorly, but he has come on as of late. Over his last six starts spanning 37.1 innings, Hamels has struck out 42, walked four, and allowed only three home runs. In those starts, he is 1-4 and has received a grand total of 17 runs of support. Only 12 of those runs were scored while Hamels was the pitcher of record.
The Phillies signed Hamels to a six-year, $144 million contract extension on July 25 last year, locking up the lefty through at least 2018, when he will be 34 years old.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
Which, in reality, is a really dumb thing to mock the Mets for.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
It seems that if you battle with Mike Scioscia, you’re going to lose.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
Shutouts are rare in baseball these days. M’s rookie Mike Montgomery has two in a row.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Banuelos has rebuilt some of his early-career hype this summer with the Braves’ Triple-A affiliate in Gwinnett, Georgia, posting 2.29 ERA and 1.22 WHIP across 82 2/3 innings (15 starts).
Jun 30, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Watch as Dee Gordon belts a ball into the right-center field gap and turns on the jets …
Jun 30, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Gyorko was optioned to the minors on June 10 after batting .210/.282/.311 over his first 131 plate appearances …
Jun 30, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum will be placed on the disabled list with a forearm bruise to open a rotation spot.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Like pretty much everyone else, actually.
Jun 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
Which was pretty much the only choice they had, yes?
Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Let us use this column to talk a bit about how rumors got started back in the day and how they get started now.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Gallo played 25 games in his first taste of the big leagues.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Chris Bassitt will start in his place.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
No one is quite sure when All-Star third baseman David Wright will be back.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Not that anyone really wants you to know it’s up for bid.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s making $4.8 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The old park housed the Eugene Emeralds until 2009
Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Two men enter. One man leaves.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
I’d like to tell you a story about bullpen history and a young man named Tony La Russa.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)