Jun 16, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Brewers senior director of media relations Mike Vassallo reports that starting pitcher Mike Fiers suffered a broken right forearm Saturday at Triple-A Nashville when he was hit by a Kevin Kouzmanoff line drive. Kouzmanoff was (or is) playing for the Marlins’ Triple-A affiliate based in New Orleans.
Fiers will be sidelined for at least the next 9-12 weeks. It’s unfortunate timing given that he has registered a promising 2.20 ERA and 30/12 K/BB ratio in 28 2/3 innings (five starts) this year at the Triple-A level and probably would have been given another shot soon in the major league rotation.
Fiers posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 135/36 K/BB ratio in 127 innings for Milwaukee in 2012.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)