Orioles open Camden Yards outfield for Father’s Day catch

Jun 16, 2013, 1:41 PM EST

MASN’s Roch Kubatko passes along this photo of the pregame scene at Baltimore’s Camden Yards, where Orioles officials opened the outfield for fathers to “have a catch” with their sons and daughters:

source:

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads who frequent HBT. May your Sunday be baseball-filled and barbecue-filled and somewhat peaceful.

1. goskinsvt - Jun 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Pretty cool. Happy Father’s Day!

2. steelers88 - Jun 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

That was a nice gesture by the Orioles organization. It must have been pretty cool to play catch on a MLB field. Happy Fathers Day!

3. beefytrout - Jun 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Hard to believe this isn’t done all over the league. Very cool.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Progressive Field is doing it after the game, in Cleveland. I think all ballparks should do that.

• Bryz - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Target Field did this before gates opened for fans today.

4. brewer3 - Jun 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Happy Father’s Day to all Dads on HBT!

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

This comment only furthers my belief that some people will thumbs down anything.

5. heyblueyoustink - Jun 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Did we have Maury on the scene to confirm that all the fathers were, indeed, fathers?

• historiophiliac - Jun 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Boooo!

/throws blue ribbons

6. decimusprime - Jun 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

As a very proud father of a four year old daughter, this would rank tops in not only my book but her’s too. Very cool!

Happy Dad’s Day to all the Fathers.

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Very cool! Hope this sort of thing catches on and becomes tradition.

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I wish they’d do this for Mother’s Day instead of pink bats. Blah.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

You know, the same thought popped into my head last night. Considering it was my mother who taught me how to throw, took me to all my games, is the second biggest Orioles fan I know, and is the one I annually take to a game for Mother’s day. They do hand out flowers and that’s cool and all, but I think it’s time for a little gender neutrality here. Hopefully next year Baltimore brass will rectify this.

8. drone501 - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM

wish they had this when i was a kid. but then again forbes field outfield was so huge you could have had mothers and daughters catching on the field at the same time.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2782)
  2. W. Myers (2542)
  3. D. Ross (2202)
  4. C. McGehee (2128)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1982)
  1. J. Shields (1881)