Jun 16, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
Though they came back in grand fashion against Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol, the Mets had staked the Cubs to a 3-0 lead in the fifth after a litany of errors reminiscent of a Little League game. With runners on first and second and two outs in the top of the fifth against Mets starter Jeremy Hefner, Alfonso Soriano hit a 1-2 fastball to third baseman David Wright. Wright dove, corralled the ball, and fired to first but the throw was too high for third baseman Daniel Murphy. The ball ricocheted off of a side wall back to Murphy, who fired home in an attempt to get Starlin Castro. The throw sailed past catcher John Buck, prompting Nate Schierholtz to come home. Wright, in foul territory, retrieved the ball again and made an off-balance throw back to Buck and that throw was also high and wide. As Murphy fetched and finally held onto the hot potato, two runs had scored and Soriano was safe at third base.
Is it any surprise the two teams are a combined 25 games under .500?
Watch the comedy of errors below:
In case MLB.com’s embed above doesn’t work, you can click here to watch it on their site.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)