Jun 16, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
Exactly 11 weeks into the 2013 regular season, the Cardinals are the best team in the major leagues.
St. Louis was at it again Saturday evening in Miami, surviving a shaky Lance Lynn start with a big night of offense to beat the Marlins 13-7 at their own place. Carlos Beltran slugged his 15th and 16th homers of the year. A .283/.359/.498 career hitter, he is batting .311/.343/.546 in 61 games this season at age 36 and he’s on pace for 38 homers and 105 RBI.
David Freese went 3-for-4 with a home run. He’s batting .341 with an .898 OPS since the beginning of May. Yadier Molina was 2-for-5 with three RBI and is still pacing the National League with a .352 overall batting average — impressive offensive output from the best defensive catcher in baseball.
The Cardinals are 44-24 with a +107 run differential and the Pirates and Reds both lost on Saturday so their lead in the National League Central standings has grown to 3 1/2 games.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Dodgers 5, Pirates 3 (11 innings)
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)