Jun 16, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
Exactly 11 weeks into the 2013 regular season, the Cardinals are the best team in the major leagues.
St. Louis was at it again Saturday evening in Miami, surviving a shaky Lance Lynn start with a big night of offense to beat the Marlins 13-7 at their own place. Carlos Beltran slugged his 15th and 16th homers of the year. A .283/.359/.498 career hitter, he is batting .311/.343/.546 in 61 games this season at age 36 and he’s on pace for 38 homers and 105 RBI.
David Freese went 3-for-4 with a home run. He’s batting .341 with an .898 OPS since the beginning of May. Yadier Molina was 2-for-5 with three RBI and is still pacing the National League with a .352 overall batting average — impressive offensive output from the best defensive catcher in baseball.
The Cardinals are 44-24 with a +107 run differential and the Pirates and Reds both lost on Saturday so their lead in the National League Central standings has grown to 3 1/2 games.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Dodgers 5, Pirates 3 (11 innings)
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)