Jun 16, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
Exactly 11 weeks into the 2013 regular season, the Cardinals are the best team in the major leagues.
St. Louis was at it again Saturday evening in Miami, surviving a shaky Lance Lynn start with a big night of offense to beat the Marlins 13-7 at their own place. Carlos Beltran slugged his 15th and 16th homers of the year. A .283/.359/.498 career hitter, he is batting .311/.343/.546 in 61 games this season at age 36 and he’s on pace for 38 homers and 105 RBI.
David Freese went 3-for-4 with a home run. He’s batting .341 with an .898 OPS since the beginning of May. Yadier Molina was 2-for-5 with three RBI and is still pacing the National League with a .352 overall batting average — impressive offensive output from the best defensive catcher in baseball.
The Cardinals are 44-24 with a +107 run differential and the Pirates and Reds both lost on Saturday so their lead in the National League Central standings has grown to 3 1/2 games.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Dodgers 5, Pirates 3 (11 innings)
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (245)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)