Torii Hunter hit his 300th career home run

Jun 16, 2013, 4:16 PM EST

hunter tigers getty Getty Images

Torii Hunter had 192 homers in his 11 years with the Twins, 105 home runs in his five years with the Angels and he now has three home runs in his first year with the Tigers. That makes 300 career homers, which is a somewhat exclusive club. Hunter, who turns 38 years old in July, is just its 136th member.

MLB.com has video of Hunter hitting the milestone blast at Minnesota’s Target Field, where he never played a game as a member of the Twins but still has many fans. The veteran outfielder entered play Sunday batting .290/.340/.391 with 34 runs scored and 24 RBI in 59 games. He signed a two-year, $26 million free agent contract with the Tigers this winter.

1. rbj1 - Jun 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM

According to the Tigers broadcasters, his first came as a Twin in Detroit, and now this is as a Tiger in Minneapolis. Nice symmetry.

2. historiophiliac - Jun 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Additionally, this means another $1K for Oklahoma tornado survivors. Thanks, Mr. 300. Rowr!

3. blacksables - Jun 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Thanks for calling it a milestone, and not referring to him as ‘making history’.

4. aceshigh11 - Jun 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Cooperstown, here he comes!

• beebopthearcher - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Well…I suppose he wouldn’t be the worst center fielder in the HOF….sadly enough.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I was being sarcastic.

I like Hunter, but he’s clearly not HoF-bound.

• beebopthearcher - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Don’t worry! I didn’t think you were being serious. Just pointing out that even if he did go…man…Lloyd Waner is a bad HOF choice!

5. yankeepunk3000 - Jun 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

how can he lose? he hs god behind him! no homo…cause that’s the way tori likes it. To harsh? no ok good. phew

6. insidefastball - Jun 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Hopefully this ends his mini slump. I think the fact that he was at 299 got into his head over the past week or two.

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Yeah, he was swinging at everything the last couple of days. He wanted it bad. He was more relaxed today, and that probably helped.

7. mrfloydpink - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Does anyone care about this?

First of all, 300 HR means very little these days, especially from an outfielder. I mean, he’s the 136th guy to do it; hardly as elite as the 3,000 hit club or the 3,000 K club.

Second. Hunter is kind of a loser. Despite playing on some very good teams, he’s only been to two ALCS and no World Series. His .370 playoff OBP is something less than stellar.

Third, Hunter is a narrow-minded bigot.

• Bryz - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Rating him based on playoff appearances is terrible.

Also, I don’t know what world you live on but a .370 OBP is excellent no matter what type of series you’re playing in.

• beebopthearcher - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM

1. He’s a *center fielder* for most of his career. Big difference between the expected offensive output of a center fielder and a corner outfielder. Always remember the defensive spectrum: C-SS-2B-CF-3B-RF-LF-1B No, it’s not amazing or anything, but he just the 14th center fielder to hit 300 home runs. Not too shabby.

2. A .370 OBP in the playoffs is actually pretty damn stellar. George Brett’s career OBP is .369…and most people consider that to be pretty damn stellar.

I mean, no one’s saying he should go to the Hall of Fame or anything. But he’s had a very nice career. What’s wrong with pointing out he hit 300 homers?

• mrfloydpink - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM

@Bryz: Hunter has often been the best paid player on his team, or one of them. Failure to make the playoffs, or to succeed, is absolutely on him, at least to an extent. And a .370 OBP is solid, but is not stellar.

@beebop: Yes, he’s a center fielder, but a pretty average/below average one (7.9 career dWAR, with nearly all of that earned in just three seasons). Ergo, he should be producing better than a defense-first CF.

And the problem with pointing out this “accomplishment” is that (a) he’s a POS and (b) All kinds of equivalent accomplishments regularly go unmentioned. Does the site have an item when players get their 2,000th hit or their 750th RBI or their 2,000th strikeout or their 100th win? No. So why does Torii–who, once again, is a bigoted POS–get a mention?

• beebopthearcher - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

7.9 career dWar is not below average at all. It’s like you’re looking at the stats but not understanding them…

8. historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Wow, did this page get some visits from some cranky and sarcastic dudes. I guess y’all got some pretty ugly ties or your kids forgot to call or something. I hope it made you feel better being shitty about someone else’s achievement. I’m sure he really gives a crap and is moping during his celebration tonight. Oh, yeah, no. He’s not.

• mrfloydpink - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM

That’s rich. Complaining about the negativity with–that’s right–a snotty post full of negativity.

Seriously, why don’t you just shut up, historiophiliac? I literally cannot remember an occasion where any of your numerous comments added anything to the conversation, either in terms of insight or humor. I know that you THINK you’re funny, but I assure you that you’re not.

Personally, I don’t particularly care for being cast as the bad guy when I call out a homophobic, racist POS like Torii Hunter.

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Well, at least you owned it.

9. weaselpuppy - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

If you don’t want to be the bad guy, don’t call people you don’t know POS.

“I’m very disappointed in Kevin Baxter’s article in which my quotes and feelings have been misrepresented. He took two completely separate quotes and made them into one quote that does not express how I feel as a Christian or a human being . I have love and respect for all human beings regardless of race, color or sexual orientation. I am not perfect and try hard to live the best life I can and treat all people with respect. If you know me you know that I am not anti anything and to be portrayed as anti-gay in this article is hurtful and just not true.”

Now to point out that one’s interpretation of the Bible means that being gay is sinful is far different than being bigoted against or hating gay people. One can also point out the Bible interprets lying as sinful. That doesn’t make you hate all liars and be bigoted against them

once people get that, they will;

1) more easily focus on the people that truly are hated filled and bigoted and work to bring them into a better world, inside and out.

2) Get more focused on loving people instead of looking to hate people, even if it’s for those people’s perceived hate of a position or group they hold dear or true.

Spread love.

and the word the DD wants a closer…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3215)
  2. J. Kang (3075)
  3. C. McGehee (2799)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2767)
  5. J. Upton (2753)