Jun 17, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
He was only in the game because Kevin Gregg had pitched four games in a row, but the former closer served up a walk-off three-run homer and afterward teammate Alfonso Soriano sounded pretty sick of watching Marmol:
When we have a 99 [percent] chance to win the game, it’s very tough the last inning. Three outs left and we lost the game. It’s unacceptable … It’s hard to swallow. We thought we swept those guys and had some momentum going to St. Louis. It’s not a good feeling.
And about Marmol specifically, Soriano told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:
I don’t know. It depends on him. He used to be good. I think he’s good, but he’s lost a little bit of his confidence, and this game is all about confidence. I hope he gets it back and becomes the Marmol I know.
Sullivan notes that Soriano “was as upset as he has been in his seven years in Chicago” and doesn’t normally go public with those type of quotes, but “he used to be good” is certainly an apt description of Marmol at this point. Of course, if Marmol was feeling chippy he could say the same thing about Soriano.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)