Jun 17, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
He was only in the game because Kevin Gregg had pitched four games in a row, but the former closer served up a walk-off three-run homer and afterward teammate Alfonso Soriano sounded pretty sick of watching Marmol:
When we have a 99 [percent] chance to win the game, it’s very tough the last inning. Three outs left and we lost the game. It’s unacceptable … It’s hard to swallow. We thought we swept those guys and had some momentum going to St. Louis. It’s not a good feeling.
And about Marmol specifically, Soriano told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:
I don’t know. It depends on him. He used to be good. I think he’s good, but he’s lost a little bit of his confidence, and this game is all about confidence. I hope he gets it back and becomes the Marmol I know.
Sullivan notes that Soriano “was as upset as he has been in his seven years in Chicago” and doesn’t normally go public with those type of quotes, but “he used to be good” is certainly an apt description of Marmol at this point. Of course, if Marmol was feeling chippy he could say the same thing about Soriano.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)