Jun 17, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
He was only in the game because Kevin Gregg had pitched four games in a row, but the former closer served up a walk-off three-run homer and afterward teammate Alfonso Soriano sounded pretty sick of watching Marmol:
When we have a 99 [percent] chance to win the game, it’s very tough the last inning. Three outs left and we lost the game. It’s unacceptable … It’s hard to swallow. We thought we swept those guys and had some momentum going to St. Louis. It’s not a good feeling.
And about Marmol specifically, Soriano told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:
I don’t know. It depends on him. He used to be good. I think he’s good, but he’s lost a little bit of his confidence, and this game is all about confidence. I hope he gets it back and becomes the Marmol I know.
Sullivan notes that Soriano “was as upset as he has been in his seven years in Chicago” and doesn’t normally go public with those type of quotes, but “he used to be good” is certainly an apt description of Marmol at this point. Of course, if Marmol was feeling chippy he could say the same thing about Soriano.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)