Jun 17, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
The Rangers signed reliever Joakim Soria to a two-year, $8 million contract over the winter, but he has yet to throw a pitch for the club because he’s still in recovery mode from the second Tommy John surgery of his career. However, they could finally get some bang for their buck soon.
Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that Soria made it through his second live batting practice session in the past four days this afternoon. He’s tentatively scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Frisco on Thursday, which could set him up to make his Rangers’ debut around the All-Star break.
“It was really good,” Soria said of the session, in which he faced Craig Gentry, Geovany Soto and Chris McGuiness in a session of approximately 35-40 pitches. “My key is my command. My command was good. If my command is good, everything is good. I need to see real baseball, real batters in a game and up the intensity.”
Soria was originally expected to join the Rangers’ bullpen in May, but his timeline was pushed back in April after he suffered a strained pectoral muscle. Either way, he could make a major impact during the second half if he’s healthy. The 29-year-old right-hander owns a 2.40 ERA over 298 appearances in the majors.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)