Mark Teixeira likely headed to the disabled list

Jun 17, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT

teixeira getty Getty Images

There’s no official word yet, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told reporters this afternoon that he’s “personally leaning” toward putting Mark Teixeira on the disabled list due to more problems with the first baseman’s right wrist.

Teixeira missed the first two months of the season with a wrist injury suffered during the World Baseball Classic, but an MRI exam showed no new damage and he’s been diagnosed with inflammation.

In between the DL stint and this new setback Teixeira played 15 games for the Yankees, hitting .151 with three homers and a .609 OPS while striking out 19 times.

1. nolanwiffle - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The “Brian Roberts of the Bronx”.

• yankswm23 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Except for, you know, more Gold Gloves (Roberts has 0), more Silver Slugger titles (Roberts has 0), and more World Series appearances and wins. Also about 10 less DL stints. But, yeah, sure. He’s the “Brian Roberts of the Bronx”

• Jeremy T - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Unless he was trying to say that the Bronx is basically the same as Baltimore, except better in every way? Not that I’d agree with that, mind you.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Yes, that’s exactly what I was alluding to, their similar career achievements. Yankee fans like you are morons.

• beachnbaseball - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM

If Roberts was in the military he’d be called a malingerer. I’m surprised the Orioles haven’t wised up.

• barrywhererufrom - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Just say no..let me know when roberts plays 50 games in a season.also all that winning roberts has,done in his career reminds me of tex.. Please,your pinstriped envy makes you,sound like a jealous moron

2. paperlions - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Gee, a lingering wrist injury, how novel. It’ll be surprising if he shows any consistent power before the All-Star break next year.

3. deathmonkey41 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Maybe he should be taking this time off to watch some old film of himself hitting…you know, before he used to give himself an aneurysm trying to pull every ball out of the park.

4. gothapotamus90210 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

If there’s anything positive that can come out of this, hopefully it’s the death knell for the WBC.

5. turdfurgerson68 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Only 75+ million left to go on that awful contract.

Another winning contract (Igawa, A-Roid, Burnett, etc.) doled out by Cashman.

And how is that Vernon Wells deal working out now?

6. raysfan1 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Doom, despair, and agony on me
    Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
    If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
    Doom, despair, and agony on me

• raysfan1 - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

No love for “Hee Haw” references.

• cackalackyank - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Where, where, are you tonight? Why did you leave me here on my own? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and *pffffftt* you was gone. Sounds about right for a description of the Yankees offence this season….

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I mentioned it elsewhere, but Tex said he feels fine swinging from the right side. It only bothers him hitting left handed. Wouldn’t he still be valuable as a RHB? I mean, hell, he can hit against lefties for sure and I don’t think he would drop dead from facing a RHP from the right side. If they can get something out of him it sounds better than sticking him on the DL.

• jwbiii - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

As a RHB: 278/435/500 That’s pretty good.
      As a LHB: 086/175/257 That isn’t.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Given his contract, them numbers look awful.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Exactly. Do we have to put the top guy on the DL just because the bottom guy sucks? Do people know that it is possible for right handed batters to face right handed pitchers? Lord knows we have seen enough feeble ABs from Wells against RHP.

8. sdelmonte - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

So was he rushed back by a team in need of help?

9. pisano - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Sit this guy down for the rest of the season, I’d rather have Overbay’s .240 ave. than Tex’s .157 and dropping. Has this guy ever been a bust.

• bigharold - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

“Has this guy ever been a bust.”

What are you talking about?

The .240 your getting from Overbay is his max. Eventually, assuming this latest episode turns out to be just a set back, Teixeira will come around and hit for a better average, OBP and far more power. And, being a switch hitter he balances out the line up thereby helping the overall line up. And, Teixeira plays better defense.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Tex has batted .248 and .251 the last two seasons. His OPS, OPS+, and SLG % have dropped every year with the Yankees while his strike out rate has risen. He hit his ceiling and has been on a steady decline. Another power hitter that has become victim to the short rightfield porch. No one should ever pitch this guy middle in- he can not go the opposite way if his life depended on it. They could put all 9 guys on the right side of the infield when he bats lefty and he would still pull the ball.

• bigharold - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Over the last 4 years, which I see as more indicative of their potential, Overbay is a .239 hitter averaging 6 HRs a year with an OBP of about .270. Teixeira is a .270 hitter with .355 OBP and is averaging 34 HRs.

Overbay is at his max. If Teixeira’s wrist is healthy, over the remainder of the season he will easily out produce Overbay at the plate. Not even close.

I like Overbay and appreciate his contributions this season he’s a consummate pro that every team could benefit from just having on the bench. And, I was relived when the Yankees found a way to keep him on the roster but offensively he is no match for Teixeira. It annoys me to no end that Teixeira will not develop a strategy to beat the shift because it’s not that he can’t hit the other way it’s that he won’t. But he still far more productive than Overbay if his wrist is sound.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline