Jun 17, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
After both clubhouses and the umpires’ lockeroom at O.Co Coliseum were flooded with raw sewage yesterday, Athletics owner Lew Wolff responded by saying that the facility “is in perhaps the worst shape in all of professional sports.” The Athletics have needed a new home for quite a while, but their efforts to move to San Jose have been blocked by the Giants due to a territorial rights issue. With no resolution in sight, MLB released a statement this afternoon in response to yesterday’s events, per Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
yet we remain hopeful that a resolution can be reached so that the A's can secure the 21st Century venue that the franchise, fans deserve."—
Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) June 17, 2013
Of course, given that MLB has been dragging its feet on this issue for years now, it would be hard to blame A’s fans who are skeptical that anything will get done in the near future. If history is any indication, the next step will include Bud Selig forming an exploratory committee to determine what went wrong with the pipes at the Coliseum.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)