Jun 17, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
McGuire, a high school catcher out of Washington, was selected 14th overall in this month’s First-Year Player Draft. Sawchik reports that he’s slated to receive a bonus around $2.56 million, which is the slot value for the pick.
While McGuire is in the fold, the Pirates have yet to sign No. 9 overall pick Austin Meadows. The 18-year-old outfielder was a compensation pick for failing to sign right-hander Mark Appel when they selected him No. 8 overall in last year’s draft. Appel, who went No. 1 overall this year, is reportedly close to an agreement with the Astros.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (369)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (126)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)