Jun 17, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
McGuire, a high school catcher out of Washington, was selected 14th overall in this month’s First-Year Player Draft. Sawchik reports that he’s slated to receive a bonus around $2.56 million, which is the slot value for the pick.
While McGuire is in the fold, the Pirates have yet to sign No. 9 overall pick Austin Meadows. The 18-year-old outfielder was a compensation pick for failing to sign right-hander Mark Appel when they selected him No. 8 overall in last year’s draft. Appel, who went No. 1 overall this year, is reportedly close to an agreement with the Astros.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12