Jun 17, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
McGuire, a high school catcher out of Washington, was selected 14th overall in this month’s First-Year Player Draft. Sawchik reports that he’s slated to receive a bonus around $2.56 million, which is the slot value for the pick.
While McGuire is in the fold, the Pirates have yet to sign No. 9 overall pick Austin Meadows. The 18-year-old outfielder was a compensation pick for failing to sign right-hander Mark Appel when they selected him No. 8 overall in last year’s draft. Appel, who went No. 1 overall this year, is reportedly close to an agreement with the Astros.
- So that Juan Uribe to the Braves trade is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)