Ron Washington held a doors-closed meeting

Jun 17, 2013, 1:08 PM EST

Ron Washington

The Rangers have lost six in a row, lost their lead in the AL West and haven’t been scoring at all. Getting handcuffed by Chien-Ming Wang was apparently the last straw for Ron Washington, who held a team meeting after yesterday’s loss:

“I spoke to them, and the message is nobody’s business in this room — and I don’t mean to be disrespectful,” said Washington during his post-game press conference. “I just thought they needed to hear from the manager.”

The Rangers have a four-game set against the A’s starting today. It’s weird to call any series big in June — and the numbers and current level of play certainly favors the A’s leaving Texas still in the lead — but the Rangers can’t afford to fall too far behind.

1. mc1439 - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM

This too good! Thanks for the laughs Rangers! It’s heartwarming knowing you’ll be home for October, or home when it counts anyway…. you know….cuz ya’ll always choke.

• shaggylocks - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Sure, you’ve already won two AL pennants in the past three years, but what have you done for me lately?

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

^^^ Baseball Townie

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Eh, better than a groupie.

Oh wait, on second thought, depending on the groupie…….

• aceshigh11 - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM

When are you two finally gonna screw? The sexual tension is killing us.

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Dangit. That was for the mc.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Play better, or we’ll trade you to Miami.

• paperlions - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

That might work for the guys not making anything, but anybody making > $1M knows that’s an empty threat.

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

So, Phillies instead?

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You’re right, Loria would never acquire high priced talent and then unload it the second he feels like it.

3. mybrunoblog - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I’ve never understood why when a manager holds a “closed door meeting” the media and some fans make a big deal of it. I mean wtf? He’s the manager, he’s supposed to meet with his players. In business ALL meetings are closed door. Imagine if your boss said “Hey people meet me in the conference room in 30 minutes to discuss the Branford a account. Oh yeah, I’m simulcasting our meeting to Foxnews and CNN so are competitors are kept in the loop as to how we do business”

• blacksables - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

It means the media wasn’t allowed in, and no one is supposed to say what happened.

This forces the media to speculate and actually have to make up controversy, instead of just intentionally mis-representing what really was said.

It’s much easier for them to twist the words of someone else, then it is to be creative and lie about it. The writers don’t like that. It’s like work.

4. apkyletexas - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

“Handcuffed by Wang”. Yeah, that’s never a good thing.

• paperlions - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

That game only lasted 2:54, so there was no need to call the doctor.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The new and improved Wang had 5 K’s over 7 innings against the Rangers. He is not known as a strike out pitcher. The combined score over the last 4 games was 24 to 4. Either the Rangers pitchers and hitters were in a deep coma or the Jay’s were playing the way they were expected to be playing after their off season moves.

5. specialkindofstupid - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM

• youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Sub in Josh Hamilton’s irritating, whiney wife and that idea might have legs!! :D

6. mtr75 - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

When I first read this headline all I could think was “cocaine”.

7. cocheese000 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Did Ron pass around a mirror with cocaine?

8. Kevin Gillman - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

How about this Craig, losing in this fashion is unacceptable? Players tend to forget about that when they collect their millions of dollars.

9. stlouis1baseball - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yeah…team meetings are totally worthless. There is zero chance the meeting will result in a positive outcome. If you struggle…and continue to struggle…and struggle some more…just continue on aimlessly while hoping/praying/begging for the ship to right itself. Stupid team meetings.

• apkyletexas - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

>“Now if anyone can tell me what can possibly be said in a team meeting to make players play better, I’m all ears.”

— “Pack your bags, I’ve got a one-way bus ticket for you to join the Frisco RoughRiders (Rangers’ AA team)”.

Substitute “Myrtle Beach Pelicans” (A-level) if the above doesn’t do the trick.

10. stlouis1baseball - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM

So…I see we have at least 3 people who fall on the side of continuing on aimlessly until the problem corrects itself. Nice…

• historiophiliac - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Psst. Can I call you Wesley Woodpecker now? lol

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Stop it!

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

/pouts

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wait, are you gonna be mad at me now, Woodpecker? :(

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I can’t get made at you! Just been a very busy day. Way too much to do and not enough hours to accomplish it today.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Ok. Are you mad you dropped your name? I did it once without thinking too. No one will notice…except me, of course.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Still a little perturbed at myself. I am better than that. Even with my computer shortcomings.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Let it go.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4855)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2524)
  4. J. Kang (2490)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2468)
  1. C. McGehee (2446)