Jun 17, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
The Mets aren’t contending and Bobby Parnell has been outstanding, posting a 2.83 ERA with nine saves in 23 games. That’s usually a recipe for a trade, with a contender striking a deal for a closer who has very few wins to close.
Not this year, though, reports Andy Martino of the Daily News:
According to a person with direct knowledge of the Mets’ thinking, GM Sandy Alderson considers Parnell a valuable piece for next year, rather than an opportunity to capitalize on a contender’s need.
Why? Go read Martino’s piece to see how GM Sandy Alderson’s approach has changed this season and where his focus is.
Without giving it away, I’ll say that while holding onto Parnell may or may not make sense, the larger team-building idea Martino ascribes to Alderson — one in which he may seek to buy certain types of players at the deadline rather than sell them — makes a lot of sense to me. We’re past the point where one can simply go out and buy a big free agent that may help a team for several years, at least on any kind of contract that makes sense.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)