Video: Starling Marte robs Brandon Phillips with diving catch

Jun 17, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT

Starling Marte has been a major part of the Pirates’ impressive first half, batting .287/.355/.422 with 19 extra-base hits (six home runs), 19 RBI, and 20 stolen bases in 64 games coming into play tonight. But as this nifty diving catch in the third inning of tonight’s Pirates-Reds game demonstrates, he’s not too bad with the glove, either.

Brandon Phillips is used to making this type of robbery at second base, not being the victim. But he can surely appreciate some excellent glovework.

1. Stiller43 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I am EXTREMELY proud to have cutch and marte roaming the outfield hopefully for the next decade!!

Lets go buccos!

2. thepittsburghkid - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Probably In a couple of years Gregory Polanco will be in the outfield with both of them. He’s going to be a beast. We will probably have the fastest/scariest outfield in all of baseball until Cutch leaves.

3. penzfan329 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Pedro alvarez is killing us. Who cares if he hits a home run here and there. Too many strikeouts. Someone else can pay for his garbage production.

• pens5829 - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

El Toro’s a complete embarrassment. The pitches he swings at make him look like a 10 year old. Tired of the crap about hitting 30 home runs. How may of those 30 home runs are with guys on base? Maybe 10 or 12? When the game’s on the line and there’s guys in scoring position, I cringe when he comes to the plate.

4. junglerat524 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

The difference between the Reds & Pirates is not talent. Not to be critical but they should have a talented farm system because of their draft # for way to many years. The difference is maturity & experience over the 162. The Reds went through that and are now going through the same thing with the Cards when it comes to the playoffs/race.

I like what both teams are doing. Nothing wrong about flashing back to when I first met baseball in the early 70s.

• GH - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don’t disagree completely, but with respect to your note on the farm system, remember that until recently the Pirates were perfectly adept at screwing up those early picks because Littlefield’s hands were tied financially (and by his own idiocy) – hello Daniel Moskos over Matt Wieters.

However your overall point is a sound one – the veteran nature of the Reds and Cards puts them in a better position to make a run. But don’t count out the Bucs completely.

5. steelers88 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

The Pirates will be really good in a year or 2 even maybe a playoff or championship contender. But not this year. I think the Pirates will have another collapse again but I think they will break the streak of losing seasons. The Pirates just can’t hang with the big boys not just yet.

• jm91rs - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I agree with you. Last time I checked, their outstanding bullpen had pitched a crazy amount of innings thanks to all their injuries to starting pitchers and starters not going deep into games despite a nice ERA. I don’t see that great bullpen holding up if they have to pitch so many more innings than they’re used to. I do think they’re finally doing things right and will eventually break through. They’d better be though after a decade of high draft picks and trading every decent player for stud prospects.

Three legends off to Cooperstown