Jun 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
OK, admittedly the elipses covers a TON of ground here. So much so that I’m clearly and juvenilely trying to make poop jokes out of this Oakland Coliseum thing. But A’s owner Lew Wolff did say those things to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
Less juvenilely, Nightengale’s article is interesting beyond potty humor. Specifically, in it Wolff outlines past sewage incidents at the Coliseum, one as recently as this past Wednesday in a stadium restaurant. Nightengale also notes that, contrary to my and others constantly saying that Bud Selig’s blue ribbon committee on Oakland is still working, it did release something recently:
Major League Baseball, which hoped the A’s and Giants would somehow reach an agreement on their own, finally got a resolution from their blue ribbon committee. The committee submitted a set of guidelines to Wolff in February, and if he agreed to meet the requirements, a move could soon be underway.
Wolff won’t talk about the guidelines. Neither will the Giants. Or even Major League Baseball.
As Nightengale notes, the guidelines, whatever they are, clearly aren’t realistic and/or appealing or else something would have happened by now.
But it is worth noting for accuracy’s sake that the committee’s work is done and Major League Baseball’s failure to do anything about the A’s awful situation has entered a new and different era.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)