Jun 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
OK, admittedly the elipses covers a TON of ground here. So much so that I’m clearly and juvenilely trying to make poop jokes out of this Oakland Coliseum thing. But A’s owner Lew Wolff did say those things to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
Less juvenilely, Nightengale’s article is interesting beyond potty humor. Specifically, in it Wolff outlines past sewage incidents at the Coliseum, one as recently as this past Wednesday in a stadium restaurant. Nightengale also notes that, contrary to my and others constantly saying that Bud Selig’s blue ribbon committee on Oakland is still working, it did release something recently:
Major League Baseball, which hoped the A’s and Giants would somehow reach an agreement on their own, finally got a resolution from their blue ribbon committee. The committee submitted a set of guidelines to Wolff in February, and if he agreed to meet the requirements, a move could soon be underway.
Wolff won’t talk about the guidelines. Neither will the Giants. Or even Major League Baseball.
As Nightengale notes, the guidelines, whatever they are, clearly aren’t realistic and/or appealing or else something would have happened by now.
But it is worth noting for accuracy’s sake that the committee’s work is done and Major League Baseball’s failure to do anything about the A’s awful situation has entered a new and different era.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (298)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)