And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jun 18, 2013, 6:59 AM EST

New York Mets v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Braves 2, Mets 1: A three-hour and fifty-two minute rain delay? Really? Despite that, Dillon Gee shut the Braves out through eight and a third and drove in the Mets’ only run. And despite that he gave up a walkoff two-run homer to Freddie Freeman just before 1:30 AM. Now they play a day-night doubleheader. Expect many yawns.

Tigers 5, Orioles 1: Max Scherzer is now 10-0 as he struck out ten Orioles in six innings of work. The biggest coming against Chris Davis with the bases loaded in the top of the fifth and home plate umpire Tim Timmons apparently trying to make a point about the randomness of nature and strike zones. Blew a couple of 96-97 m.p.h. fastballs by the AL home run leader.

Blue Jays 2, Rockies 0: Josh Johnson tossed seven and a third five-hit shutout innings fanning 10 and the Jays won their sixth straight. A week ago Monday they were at their nadir, 12 games back in the AL East. They’re not close now — 8.5 back — but that’s a decent gain in a short amount of time. Worth watching.

Cardinals 5, Cubs 4: Yadier Molina had two hits including a two-run double to raise his average to .355, which is nutso. Shelby Miller threw five shutout innings and then left with leg cramps. Bananas, Shelby. Eat more bananas. Trust me on this one.

Royals 2, Indians 1: The Royals get to .500 and move into second place, taking their 11th win in 13 games. Victory here came when the go-ahead run scored from third base on a wild pitch by reliever Matt Albers in the ninth.

Phillies 5, Nationals 4: Jonathan Papelbon vultures a win, blowing his first save of the season but giving up a two-out, two-strike homer to Chad Tracy, then but notching the win when Domonic Brown hit a two-out walkoff single in the bottom of the ninth. Off Fernando Abad, because one cannot use a closer in a tie game on the road, even if one is Davey Johnson, apparently.

Reds 4, Pirates 1: Homers from Zach Cozart, Todd Frazier, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. Bruce has three homers in his last five games. The Reds stay a game and a half ahead of Pittsburgh for second place. They are off to their best start in 18 years.

Rangers 8, Athletics 7: Texas breaks its six-game hitting streak behind two Nelson Cruz homers and five and a third one-run innings from the bullpen following Nick Tepesch‘s poor start. The AP gamer frames this as the Rangers responding to Ron Washington’s pep talk during a closed-door meeting on Sunday. If closed-door meetings worked that way managers would have them every day, yes?

Marlins 3, Diamondbacks 2: Giancarlo Stanton vs. Paul Goldschmidt. Each accounted for all of his team’s runs. Goldschmidt’s came on a solo homer and an RBI singleStanton’s, however, game on two homers which drove in three. Stanton’s second homer was the 100th of his career. The Marlins had three hits total.

White Sox 4, Astros 2: Chicago avoids a sweep in this wraparound series. All the Sox’ runs came in the sixth, topped with a Dayan Viciedo bases-loaded triple.

Angels 11, Mariners 3: Albert Pujols and Alberto Callaspo each had four hits and Josh Hamilton had a two-run homer. They rattled off 21 hits in all, their most in four years. Just like they drew it up, huh?

Padres 5, Giants 3: Seven wins in a row for the Pads, this one coming in 13 innings, with the tie-breaking run coming on an Andrew Cashner pinch-hit bunt. The Giants thought they had this one won in the 12th when Juan Perez drove one to the warning track but Will Venable made a fantastic diving catch.

1. sdelmonte - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM

The Mets are under a cloud this season. Literally. Seems like it rains on them everywhere. We should send the whole team to Vegas just to see what happens.

2. therealtrenches - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM

The Mets are under a cloud every season, except 69.

Craig, who cares if Papelbon vultures the win, or if Davey Johnson decided (in a fashion rather common among managers, i might add) not to go with his closer bc of the possibility of extra innings? The real story is Dom Brown’s clutch play.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Yes, that was the real story. And I don’t see how using a reliever with a 0.90 ERA in a tie game is being spun as a poor idea.

• natslady - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

It wasn’t a bad idea. Abad has been solid since he came up. Never mind Soriano. The reliever who didn’t get used was Storen. Davey said he didn’t want to keep Storen warming and then not use him; he would have come in if Revere didn’t get on. But he did, and Storen is THE WORST (now that Henry has departed for the Cubbies) at holding runners on. Abad did a good job of holding Revere.

Then, after Rollins’ single, the question is do you walk Domonic Brown and bring Storen in to pitch to Mayberry? Davey hedged, Abad got to 2-2 against Brown and couldn’t put him away. Two of the singles were of the broken-bat kind.

Speaking of Henry–he debuted with the Cubs by hitting the ump with his first pitch and Carlos Beltran with his second. Welcome to Henry’s world, Cubs fans.

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Maybe, because Abad’s career 4.72 ERA (and 122 ERA-) are more indicative of his ability than a 10 inning sample?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Oh, career ERA. ‘Cause I thought Craig was saying you have to use the closer in that spot, but he in fact was saying he didn’t like the move due to Abad’s careeer ERA

In other news, the Phillies are in first place, thanks to Hamels and Halladays career ERA

• natslady - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM

And, of course, the upshot was Storen warmed and didn’t get used.

That said, Storen throws and warms and paces around the bullpen in a lot games where he knows he’s not getting used. Curious guy.

With Henry and Duke gone there isn’t a weak link in the bullpen, but Storen is still chancy. When he’s on, he’s nails, especially against right handers, but he doesn’t have that knack of getting out of jams like Clip (who did it again last night).

• natslady - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Yeah, paper, there’s that. Davey likes to play the hot hand, but that’s twice now Abad has come into a tie game and lost it.

• bleedgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

When you say “Henry” and “Cubs”, I think Henry Rowengartner.

I was kinda confused for a minute.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM

“The Mets are under a cloud every season, except 69.”

1986 says Hi!

• dcarroll73 - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM

1973 sends its regards as well.

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

As does 1988. And 2000.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

1986 seems to be the only thing winning today.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

It’s a nostalgia thing.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Pssst. I think it’s really the “69.”

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

OK, Historio, I have to defy Thumbs Down Tuesday to thumb up this comment. Don’t tell anyone, ‘kay?

3. kcrobert10 - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM

The royals keep living on the edge. Leave it to them to make a bum pitcher look like cy young. For 8 innings I hate them then for 2 innings I’m having a heart attack while they salt away another close game. All I can say is thanks for the win Cleveland we should of never had a shot at that game. Finally ill keep saying it even if people keep being mad about it the Marlins need more prospects and the royals need Stanton.

4. philliesblow - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM

It was nice to see Miggy get the Boom Stick working again. Davis followed with a blast to almost the exact same seat to go back ahead by 5 HR. Should be a lot of fun watching these 2 battle for the Triple Crown categories this summer.

In addition to Scherzer moving to 10 -0, the Tigers got excellent relief work from Drew Smyly with 3 scoreless innings taking just 33 pitches. Glad Smokes didn’t bring in Wiggles to ruin the game.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM

No Kelly, no Valverde, no problems. More awesomeness from His Heterochromianess — and a great showing by The Kid. For the second day, I felt we had this game from the beginning. Five games up. (I will resist saying something snarky about how Crush’s homer was a solo shot but Miggy’s = 2 RBI because he’s an MVP. :) )

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM

So you are going to resist giving Miggy credit for his team mate getting on base? How big of you.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I didn’t say that juuuust for you. :)

• detroitr1 - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I’m surprised you didn’t mention how Cabrera beat out a throw from 3rd to get an infield single.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I wish there was video of that because I think some people here could really use seeing that.

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Thou shalt not speak ill of Crush Davis.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Crushed? Pssht.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM

You’ll have to duel OG to label anyone “The Kid.”

MGB!

Also I’d just like to congratulate you on the most incomprehensible 19 thumbs down against 1 thumb up. I’m going to make it 20 just because that’s how I roll. I express my real feelings with the other 8 fingers. ;)

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Wow, look at all those kisses! What did I do to deserve this?

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Cabrera has 2 IFH this year, the same number as speedster Yadier Molina, and the plantar fasciitis impaired Pujols.

Cabrera is the best hitter in baseball, but that doesn’t make him an average runner or fielder. Not sure why you can’t enjoy his awesomeness without admitting his lack of perfection. No player is perfect.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I love annoying you. Thumbs down!

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

TTHPPPTH!!!!!

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

he he Rowr!

• Old Gator - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Nice Bill the Cat nostalgia bit there, Paper.

5. proudlycanadian - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM

The Rangers broke out of their slump because the were no longer facing Toronto’s pitching. Six in a row for the Jays thanks to superb pitching and solid hitting. During the win streak, Toronto had trouble hitting against Darvish and last night, De La Rosa; however, they waited them out and beat up on the relief pitchers who followed.

I want to complement Colorado’s rookie third baseman Arenado. The kid is a terrific third baseman.

• alexo0 - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Did only the Rangers offense respond to the pep talk?

• abaird2012 - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Yes, didn’t you read about their six-game hitting streak?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The Rangers gave up 7 runs yesterday, so their pitchers obviously did not respond to the pep talk.

• cur68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I think that’s accurate. It seems a lot of teams are having trouble with The CockPunchTrio™. Tonight, we see if Esmil Rogers has any of that dickslinger magic of his own.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It’s only fitting that Rogers finally wears a BlueJay uni – after all the home ballpark is named after him.

Also if you take the E from the beginning of his name and put it at the end you get a smile.

6. nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Hey Harry! How about those Jays? Only 3 games under .500 now. How about that starting pitching and the clutch hitting? Isn’t that awesome, Harry? How about that 6-game win streak and the sweep of the Rangers the other day? Wasn’t that great Harry? Harry? You there, Harry?

*crickets*

Oh, well. I guess Harry must be off on another blog, likely trolling some other team’s fans now.

Anyway…

Another great win for the Jays last night. JJ pitched great and deserved the W but I guess a no-decision beats a loss when you pitch like that. And how about Brett Cecil? The guy is lights-out these days, and he sure picked JJ up when he left those two inherited runners out there. Great heads-up baserunning and hustle by Rasmus to score on Rajai’s heels on that little Texas Leaguer by Izturis in the 8th. And the icing on the cake was save #15 by Mighty Casey.

Keep it rolling, boys!

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Ever since Wang came and joined the Jays, they have appeared rejuvenated. Who knew Wang was all you needed?

Your team is looking good. Too good. The AL East: this shit is about to get real.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

(with apologies to Lennon and McCartney)

All you need is Wang, ya-na-na-na-naa,
        All you need is Wang, ya-na-na-na-naa,
        All you need is Wang, Wang,
        Wang is all you need.

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Wang, love. Same thing, right?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Speaking of McCartney, today is his birthday. It is also the birthday of my ex. For some reason I always preferred Lennon.

• Old Gator - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

But nobody remembers Wang Lung, eh? Pearl Buck goes from Nobel laureate to stereotyping racist in the span of a generation. And that’s without even mentioning the pervasive Chinese cat meat trade.

So it goes.

• nukeladouche - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Wang Lung – no; but I’m sure everyone remembers Wang Chung. In fact – everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

• cur68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I think dirtyharry’s been incarcerated again. This happens from time to time with him. Its actually a good thing. They’ll flea bath him, hose him down, and clean up his tooth. He should be back the day the BeaverWrestlers take a loss. Should the Yankees ever win again, and it co-incide with that Beav Loss, we might get some poo flung, too. Anyhow, I hope he’s paying some attention to the hygiene lessons this time. They should tattoo “Wash Hands AFTER Flinging Poo and BEFORE picking tooth!!!” on his hands. From the smell of things I think he’s been getting that backwards.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I want to thumb up this comment, Cur, but the unwritten rule of Thumbs Down Tuesday won’t let me. Sorry, bro…

• cur68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

WHAT!!! This is an outrage. Ok. That’s it. The Thumb Shun is off! I’m thumbing all of you down in revenge. Take THAT!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

De-lousing is always a good thing for the lousy.

7. BigGreen89 - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM

“Leg craps” — isnt that what Bobby Hurley had in a game against Georgia Tech, and also the late great Grete Waitz in the NYC Marathon?

• BigGreen89 - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM

It said “craps” before — Craig corrected it. And, I loved Grete — she was amazing — she won the race. Bobby Hurley, eh — I could take or leave him. But, sorry his career was sidetracked the way it was (would never wish that on anybody).

8. heyblueyoustink - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Is today “Thumbs down Tuesday”? Just seems to be as I scan the commentary, which is fine.

I just don’t want to miss a national ( or faux national, here’s looking at you, Columbus ) holiday.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM

“Thumbs Down Tuesday”. Great concept, Blue! Give the blog trolls and thumb harpies their own special day. Brilliant!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Every day is “special” for the confederacy of trolls and thumb harpies – just not in the way you’re suggesting.

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Thumbs down Tuesday is today? Dang it, nobody told me. I went and thumbs upped a couple of comments. You guys have to tell me these things.

• stex52 - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Hey, Indie, it’s a good thing. We should do this every Tuesday. Then people could realize that all these “thumbs up/thumb down” measures are pointless.

If they really need affirmation from total strangers, they should get it on street corners like the rest of us do.

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Hey, get off my corner, stex. I’m working this street.

I use the thumbs up/down thingy like a Roman emperor. Thumbs down, you must die.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Bet I get more than you!

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

lol I’m logging into all the PCs at work and thumbing everybody down!

Thumbs down for me, thumbs down for you, thumbs down for everybody. I’m a giver.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

You are drunk with power, woman!

PS I just gave you one! lol

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Thanks! Right back at ya!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

We’ll forgive you if you aren’t totally into the spirit of thumb harpy tuesday – you must be excited for a double shot of Wil Myers tho yeah?

• indaburg - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I was talking to a doctor who I just learned is also a Rays fan and I was squealing like a little girl at the Disney Princess store about Myers. What wouldn’t I do to be in Fenway today. (Actually, I’d rather not answer that question in a public forum.)

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Oh I’m sure everything is all roses and rubbery dolphin kisses. Enjoy – I have the sickly feeling he’s going to come out of the chute with a Sawks-deflating bang.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

The Thumb harpies are in postseason form already – damn. I’m thumbing this comment down just to fit in.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

What’s the singular of sheeple? You, you, sherson.

Do you think it’s a gang attack from the PFT crowd? The Yahoos on parade? Or the Zombie Thumbpocalypse? Too bad we can’t give them all the finger. Happy Hater Tuesday, Mo-G!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

HHT to you as well O-Phili

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I think CIAL may have gotten multiple email accounts and a day off from pre-school.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Thumbs down for everyone!

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I just gave you one! ha ha!

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

This always happens when there aren’t enough penis jokes.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Again? Sigh.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Would not be surprised if Harry has been all thumbs today.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

You kidding me? On Thumbs Down Tuesday, Harry is the one giving thumbs up. He’s a contrary little cuss that way.

9. sportsdrenched - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

First time since 2003 the Royals have been .500 this late in the season. And Royals fans haven’t seen pitching like this since before I was born.

Speaking of being young, it’s more than past time for Mike Moustakas to turn in his Royals Crown and pick up his Nexrad Radar, mesonent, and starting looking at atmophereic soundings.

10. Jason Lukehart - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM

DIllon Gee was also on pace for a Maddux heading into the 9th. It’s now been a month since Brandon McCarthy threw the last one.

11. Old Gator - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

(Yawwwnnnn, streeeetchhhh) Eh, must’ve overslept again. Yeah, well, up late at the word processor, my unforgiving master and trireme galley drummer.

However, I did watch most of the Feesh-Snake battle last night, keyed by a terrific pitcher’s duel between Corbin and Jacob Turner, who looks more and more like the future two-punch of the Feesh rotation with El Joven (there! We got our nickname!). And of course, the moonshot launched by the Iron Giant in the sixth to tie the game (which had more hang time than a wet blanket on a clothesline) and his flick-o’-de-wrist gamewinner off’n the ponderous and unlamented Heath Bar Bell, some of whose salary is still being paid by poor Scrooge McLoria. But if Scrooge is paying him to pitch to the Iron Giant, so be it. Better than wasting it on yet another orphan doodle out of Picasso’s closet, I say.

Problem is, on this day in the chronosynclastic infundibulum the ’62 Mutts were losing to the Pirates 5-2, sunk by a homer by the same Don Clendenon who would be one of their ’69 heroes, and thereby pulling ahead of the Feesh 19-50 to 22-47. The Feesh now have to make up three full games in the loess column to pull even with the Mutts in the dash for the crash.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Mornin’ Gator. Welcome to Thumbs Down Tuesday, where down is up and up is down. In fact, it is oddly reminicsent of the Feesh’s race to win (or lose) the title of best worst record (or is it worst best record) in baseball. Kind of ironic that Scrooge’s team is being haunted by the Ghost of Futile Seasons Past. Charles Dickens would approve, methinks.

• Old Gator - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Yeah, essept we don’t do Dickens in Macondo. Garcia Marquez, maybe, or Juan Rulfo if you want ghosts.

• spudchukar - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

All I know is the Feesh team that St. Louis played over the weekend did not resemble their record. They out-executed, out-played, and out-thought the MLB’s best record team. Certainly the Cards pitchers weren’t very sharp, however, the Miami hitters constantly took the ball the other way, pitchers adjusted away from the fastball, when St. Louis started to attack that pitch, and generally played better than teams the Red Birds have played recently.

Granted it was only 3 games, and the Feesh were at home, but their play was exemplary. If the Cards played poorly, I would be quick to point it out. Not the best series St. Louis has played by any measure, but outside of the offensive explosion in game two, Miami was the better team. Or at least played better.

• Old Gator - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

When you graph randomness, it isn’t evenly spaced – it agglutinates, or clumps. Last year’s Feesh had a great run in late May and then imploded for most of the rest of the season, even before the Hanster dump. The last time the Feesh were playing well for a short time this season, they wound up going on an eight and then a nine game loosing streak. Yes, they’re playing better of late but (a) Nolasco will certainly be traded and replaced in the rotation by a rookie or a retread and (b) Tweeter is back in the lineup, and the inertia he generates will begin to affect the offense sooner or later. The Iron Giant is awesome and he always hits well out west, but even he can’t carry this team alone.

• spudchukar - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

All true. Just reminding you there is some talent. Hechevarria was impressive, my girl friend thought he was hot, something about his nose. So there is that.

12. tophermike - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Cardinals beat the Cubs 5-2, not 5-4. I would expect at least the final scores to be accurate on a recap page…

13. APBA Guy - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

In what was billed as a meeting of prospective 2013 RoY candidates Nick Tepisch and Dan Straily, the winner was Wil Myers. Todays lesson is fastball command: you do not miss location by a foot inside the zone and expect MLB hitters to smile and pat you on the back “Nice try, Sonny”. Instead, you get object lessons, like the A’s batting around in the 4th or Nellie Cruz going deep-twice. The second was a back-breaker as Melvin had tried really hard to get Straily through 5 for the win but he kept missing his spots. Remember, this is the new, improved Dan Straily, who has lowered his BB/9 from 4+ to 1 but in so doing sacrificed his K/9 from 9+ to 4, ie, he’s not throwing as hard but throwing more strikes, like Bartolo.

So after having escaped the Mausoleum cess pool the A’s were still swimming in a river of sh*t of their own making, and Melvin made his second mistake bringing in the “long guy” Jesse Chavez for a one out situation. Result, a missed location by a foot up in the zone to one of the strongest guys in MLB, and many happy fans in Arlington as the ball dropped onto the grassy hitters eye in center.

Wash must have been speaking directly to his bullpen during the pep talk, as those guys were great right up until Joe Nathan. Wash, knowing that the A’s platoon heavily, went lefty-lefty out of the pen to follow up righty Tepesch, with the result that he had favorable match-ups for a couple of innings. When the A’s switched out a couple of guys Wash went with the righty-righty combo and although Nathan gave one back the overall pen line, 5.1 with 1 ER and the win, was superb.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester