Jun 18, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Evan Gattis caught all nine innings for the Braves in last night’s rain-delayed victory over the Mets and now, about eight hours after the final out, he’s headed to the disabled list with an oblique strain.
Gattis has been a fantastic story, finally getting a chance in the majors as a 26-year-old rookie and taking advantage of it by smacking 14 homers and 11 doubles in 163 at-bats for a .577 slugging percentage.
Unfortunately for Gattis oblique injuries tend to require more than the minimum 15-day stay on the disabled list, so the Braves will turn back to Gerald Laird as Brian McCann‘s backup and be without Gattis’ big presence as a late-inning bench bat.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)