Jun 18, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Evan Gattis caught all nine innings for the Braves in last night’s rain-delayed victory over the Mets and now, about eight hours after the final out, he’s headed to the disabled list with an oblique strain.
Gattis has been a fantastic story, finally getting a chance in the majors as a 26-year-old rookie and taking advantage of it by smacking 14 homers and 11 doubles in 163 at-bats for a .577 slugging percentage.
Unfortunately for Gattis oblique injuries tend to require more than the minimum 15-day stay on the disabled list, so the Braves will turn back to Gerald Laird as Brian McCann‘s backup and be without Gattis’ big presence as a late-inning bench bat.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)