Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long

Jun 18, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT

Brian Cashman Getty Getty Images

Mark Teixeira had a setback. Yankees hitting coach Kevin long said yesterday that it wasn’t terribly surprising to him as, in his opinion, Teixeira’s wrist hadn’t “been right” since Teixeira came off the DL.  This was news to Yankees GM Brian Cashman, who didn’t mince words expressing his dissatisfaction at his hitting coach:

“It’s alarming in the fact that K-Long would say that to the group of the reporters, but he never said that prior to that,” Cashman said. “This is a lot of times how things work out when things go bad, things get said. If K-Long felt that way he should have been saying that from Day 1, but we never heard that from K-Long … Am I mad at Kevin Long because of that? No,” said Cashman. “But do I think that commentary jibes with Kevin Long’s comments internally in that clubhouse regarding this player prior to him going down? Absolutely not. … If K-Long said that, he’s a monk because he kept his mouth shut the whole time.”

“Some people are better with the microphone than others,” he added. “Let’s put it that way.”

Know what? Even though Cashman said he wasn’t mad at Long, I kinda think he’s mad at Long.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I think Cashman should say “K-Long” a few more times.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Do you think I can get my boss to give me a nickname like that?

• waiverclaim - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Are you African-American?

• Ben - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

From now on you will be known as “Koko the Monkey.”

• kopy - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

From now on I’m going to refer to anyone in the Yankees organization by the “first inital-first syllable of last name” lazy nickname craze.

A-Rod
        K-Long
        D-Jet
        B-Cash
        G-Stein
        J-Mai

How great are A-Pet and P-Hug in the rotation?

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Don’t forget B-Boes

• cur68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Lyle Overbay has a name that deserves some consideration. Imagine going around being referred to by one’s teammates as:

L-Over.

How long before instead of “El-Over” they just go with “Lover”?

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Thumbs down! he he

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

A-Rod??

You mean A-Roid.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Well, let me just say that if George (rest his sole) was alive this would never happen.
      Never!

• anthonyverna - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I hope my sole gets into heaven. Just not filleted.

• km9000 - Jun 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I don’t know what’s worse, a GM constantly referring to a coach by a nickname, or the fact that Cashman does the annoying “interviews himself” routine.

2. flamethrower101 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It’s one thing for Tex’s swing not to be “right” and another for it to “not be right” if you catch my drift. All I know is had Tex torn his tendon sheath again the headline today would be “Hitting Coach Kevin Long Dismissed by Yankees”. At least that’s what it would be if I were Brian.

3. tcostant - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Maybe he told the manager, who then didn’t tell the GM. How many hitting coaches have direct access to the GM?

• flamethrower101 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If that’s the case, it’s Joe Girardi’s fault. But Girardi hasn’t commented on this matter yet, so unless he does, we only have what’s been put out there to go with, and what’s out there is that Kevin Long neglected to voice his concern on Tex to the team. This would be looking a lot worse if Tex’as wrist injury was more than just inflammation.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

K-Long might not have too much access to anything Yankees soon, he better watch his back.

4. historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Oh, he’s better on the mic? Rap battle!

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Boooo!

/ Throws his Guns and Roses “Appetite for Destruction” tape cassette at you. Not hard though, more like a soft toss.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I’m burning! I’m burning! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaah!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Awesome “Appetite for Destruction” reference. Sometimes at parties I go nostalgic on that ass and make the host/hostess put it on. I don’t think there is one song on that album that I don’t like.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

K-Long should have sent Cash- man a e-mail or send a Text about Tex.

5. number42is1 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

• GH - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The irony of course being that your meme appears to have been used incorrectly. Respect the effort of putting it together, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

• number42is1 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

why is it incorrect?

6. gc1998 - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

K-Long has done tremendous work with people like Granderson, Gardner, Overbay and others to dismiss him for one stupid comment to the press. if anything they should take away the microphone privileges and get him back to the batting cage. No doubt that was a stupid remark to make to the press. When things are going bad, pressure blows out of all sorts of seams that would otherwise be solid. If the organization really wants to get things on track, the mid-season trade opportunities are the place to focus. Nothing that is going on right now, including the horrendous run production and ever growing injury list should be a surprise to anyone. The only surprise that I see is that they are only 3 games out of 1st place. It’s no surprise that the pitching staff has done such a superior job. It is a surprise that this, and some early season heroics by overachieving ex-all stars has been enough to keep the Yankees in the hunt. If they want to get their attendance figures back up, they better completely trash that $189M goal and let Cashman off of his financial leash over the next several weeks.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I wish the next time that Cashman says “K-Long”, it’s followed by, “You’re Fired.” Probably the most overrated coach in all of baseball. Almost every hitter under his tutelage has turned into a pull-obsessed, strikeout artist.

8. caeser12 - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

About damn time. Now how about calling K-Long into the office for a little “transition” party.

9. dondada10 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Long probably figured he wasn’t a doctor and that if Tex was cleared then the wrist was fine.

10. paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Wait. The hitting coach is in charge of rehab from surgeries and is the only guy allowed to discuss how that is going with players? Really?

Cashman is totally out to lunch on this. There are doctors and trainers that monitor rehab. M-Teix can mention to anyone that his wrist is bothering him and anyone in a position of authority with the team can ask him.

Somebody gave the go ahead for game action, and I guarantee it wasn’t Long. Anyone that thought a torn tendon sheath in the wrist would be 100% by now is completely ignoring the history of such injuries….both wrist injuries for hitters and tendon sheath injuries in general.

Maybe Long shouldn’t have said anything publicly, but he’s probably been shaking his head while people in charge of decisions keep giving the go ahead for M-Teix to play and just couldn’t keep his mouth shut anymore. Firing someone for pointing out someone else’s stupidity is stupid.

• bigharold - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

“Maybe Long shouldn’t have said anything publicly, but he’s probably been shaking his head while people in charge of decisions keep giving the go ahead for M-Teix to play and just couldn’t keep his mouth shut anymore.”

It’s not Long’s job to direct policy or comment upon it. If he’s in trouble it’s because he forgot he’s the hitting coach not the GM.

11. turdfurgerson68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

The fault lies 100% with Cashman for giving out ridiculous contracts (a-roid, texiera) to some players, and some awful signings/trades (wells, youkilis).

It may be time for Yankee fans to contemplate a post-Cashman era.

• Kevin S. - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

You really gonna keep pretend Cashman had anything to do with A-Rod’s contract, even though you’ve been repeatedly told it was forced on him by Hank?

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Ok, take away A-Roids contract, that still leaves you with Texiera, Youkillis, Wells, Igawa, Henson, Burnett, etc.

Whenever Cashman signs a player and he does well, he’s a great GM…whenever the player sucks Cashman is absolved because it was forced on him.

You Cashman apologists are too much.

• vlock1 - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hey, Turd:

Everyone wanted Teixeira that winter. Everyone. Baltimore would have taken him, the Nats would have taken him, the Red Sox were the frontrunners for awhile. Youk was a desperation play – they knew Aroid was out for a good long while, Youk was available, and, hey, maybe they’d catch lightning in a bottle. Wells was more of the same, and the Angels are paying a lot of that contract, anyway (granted, the Yankees are on the hook after this season, which means $24m for him next year, which, ouch). Igawa was a cheap contract, for the Yanks, that didn’t work out. I don’t have any idea how Henson works into this, but who cares about Drew Henson? And Burnett was part of that signing orgy that also brought in Teixeira and Sabathia and, oh by the way, another title.

I’m a Sox fan, but the moves you cite were all pretty defensible when they happened.

12. sophiethegreatdane - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

What would G-Stein do?

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I love that you could go George Steinbrenner OR Gertrude Stein with that. lol

13. foxburgh - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM

If someone should be fired ,it should be Cashman, most overrated G.M. there ever was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. tuucamaron - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

K-long? Striking out lineup all day long, andd the grandy man ain’t back yet

15. drewsylvania - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

That great sucking sound you’re hearing is the slow sinking of the U.S.S NYY.

16. drewsylvania - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Who’s next out of retirement? Jose Offerman?

J-Off!

17. drewsylvania - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Long’s the hitting coach, not the team doctor. If Tex wasn’t ready to come back, it’s on the medical team.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

And then Kevin Long screamed to Captain Kirk “Dammit Jim I’m a hitting coach not a doctor”

18. drewsylvania - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Cash man? He has always been a puppet of ownership meddling. It’s hardly his fault.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Wow, now we have Cashman apologists….my how the Yankees have declined!

19. Brinke - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

B-Cash B-Cash B-Cash B-Cash B-Cash

I feel better now

20. jwbiii - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

In other fun Yankees news, the WBC covered $7.4M of Teixeira’s salary while he was on the DL, but since the Yankees activated him, his salary is their problem even though it’s the same injury.

21. yahmule - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Here’s a picture of Steve Balboni bunting.

22. 27xwschamps - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Show his ass the door !!!!

23. cackalackyank - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Leaving this Texeira business aside I am no K Long fan. I know I am in the minority, but I see a decline in the selectivity of the NYY batters that did not used to be the case. I agree with another post that there is too much emphasis on pulling the ball. I know it is real tempting at Yankee stadium with the short ride down the lines, but there are those 81 games each season they don’t play there. Also, the pitching staff would like to point out that your opponents have the same short ride down the line. I may be wrong, but I tend to blame K Long for the lack of a balanced attack. As for Cashman, I think when his contract is up he and the NYY will mutualy decide to part ways.

• veracityguy - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I agree totally but I’m not sure if it is solely Long’s fault or upper management. The best Yankee team I saw in my lifetime was the ’98 Yanks. They didn’t have a 30 home run guy but boy could they hit and score runs. The Yankees want to turn every hitter into a 50 homer guy. But all they wind up with is a bunch of 200 strike out guys. I think Long ruined Texeira and Granderson, not helped them.

24. tuucamaron - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM

J-lo!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3245)