Bruce Bochy screwed up a double switch in last night’s game

Jun 18, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT

Bruce Bochy Getty Images

Bruce Bochy is in his 19th season as a National League manager. He’s forgotten more about double switches than you and I will ever know. If a national emergency happened and the President and the Joint Chiefs of Staff needed an expert in double switching to stave off the apocalypse, Bochy would probably be, like, the third guy they’d call (La Russa would be first but would be discovered as the evil genius causing the apocalypse; Bobby Cox would probably be fishing).

But even experts screw up sometimes. Like Bochy did during the top of the 13th in last night’s Padres-Giants game:

“I messed up the double switch,” the Giants’ manager said after the Giants lost 5-3 to the Padres in 13 innings. “I got distracted. I was out there arguing, and I totally brain-cramped on that.”

What happened was this: Bochy made a pitching change, putting in Jake Dunning for Jose Mijares. OK. As part of that change he put Posey in the game at first base (Posey had had the night off to that point) and put him in for Brandon Belt in the seven slot in the lineup. Problem:  Bochy really wanted Posey to hit in the nine slot for Guillermo Quiroz, who would be leading off the botton of the 13th.

As a result of double switching in Posey, rather than simply having him pinch hit for Quiroz, he ensured that Posey would never bat in the game. Quiroz led off the inning, grounded out and three batters later the game was over.

There’s obviously no guarantee that Posey would have done anything had he batted, but we’ll never know.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Fatigue and rage conspired with the arcane rules of pitchers-hitting ball to produce this wonderful moment. Kudos to Bochy for fessing up and letting us giggle at him.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

if it was game 7even of the world series and they lost it would be a big deal, this
      guy has been to the series 3 times and I think he can survive this.
      if you were a lesser known manager, yeah, you would get nailed for the screw up.
      if he was a douche about it, yeah, he probably gets it good but it took the heat.

2. mybrunoblog - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Bochy is a terrific manager with a championship resume so this isn’t a big deal. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time.
    It would however be a big deal if a lesser known and less successful manager did it.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Like say if Bo Porter got a pitching change wrong and the umpires let him and he still thinks he got it right?

• stex52 - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM

C’mon. There is no IQ test for being a manager.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

There are all kinds of tests for being a manager. Unfortunately, a lot of teams have idiots admininstering and interpreting said tests.

• paperlions - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Ozzie Guillen has a “championship resume”.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Indeed he does. Guillen managed a team to a WS title. I think your trying to point out that Guillen is some type silly caricature because of his loud obnoxious mouth and your right. However, if you look deeper you’d see the guy was a good tactician who skillfully managed and earned a championship ring.

• mdub11 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

It’s really funny to see all these thumbs down. True Giants haters out there. But when you’re the defending Champs, I guess everyone wants to see you fail. Go Giants!

3. stex52 - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

How refreshing. No excuses. No complicated explanations of irrelevant facts. Just a simple statement. “I screwed up.” Bruce Bochy, you are my hero for today.

4. Innocent Bystander - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Just get the DH already and end this charade.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

And miss all this strategy???

5. sophiethegreatdane - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Father: “C’mon son, we’ll skip homework tonight and take in a baseball game.”
    Son: “Wow dad, thanks! Hey dad, do you think we’ll see a double-switch?”
    F: “Sure will, son! Maybe we’ll even see TWO!”
    S: “That’s great, dad. I can’t wait to watch those crazy pitchers hit.”
    F: “Me too, son. Nothing more fun than watching professional athletes fail at a 90% clip.”

Said no one. Ever.

• blacksables - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

So you speak for the entire blogosphere, do you?

Because I for one, enjoy watching pitchers hit, and watching real baseball. And if you looked at the numbers, I think you would find that your 90% is way off.

But thanks for speaking for me. Can you call my boss and tell him what I think of him, so I don’t get fired.

• baywatchboy - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I do love the “real baseball” comment as if throwing the word “real” in from of the argument somehow automatically invalidates the pro-DH opinion. Trust me, it doesn’t. And no I don’t speak for the whole blogosphere, whatever the hell you think that is. I certainly don’t speak for anyone who thinks watching a pitcher hit is in the same universe as “fun”.

You people must love watching backup quarterbacks complete 40% of their passes too. I guess that makes it “real football”. Oh well. I prefer to see competence when watching pro sports.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM

And oh yeah, my stab at 90% failure rate was SOOO far off. The best hitting pitching staff in the NL right now is batting a whopping .194. And they are the best. The tenth best is batting .138.

So excuse my snarky 90% guess — I should have said, “Nothing more fun than watching professional athletes fail at about an 85% clip.”

Feel better, sugar?

• daveitsgood - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

This being Thumbs Down Tuesday, is anyone else sick of the “Said no one ever” meme? I’m pretty sure somebody has probably said it at some point in time.

• Innocent Bystander - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I think it’s needed here. Without it some pro-NL’er would miss the sarcasm…they’re not the smartest, you know…they after all a group that believes the double switch takes some kind of managerial genius.

Go ahead, I give my permission for you to thumbs down me.

6. yaryers - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I’m a Padres fan and haven’t commented on this story, but after reading the comments, what does anyone have to do to get some thumbs up around here? Almost all positive, level-headed comments and they’re all getting downvoted.

Probably Dodgers fans.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5190)