Jun 18, 2013, 8:49 AM EST
Bruce Bochy is in his 19th season as a National League manager. He’s forgotten more about double switches than you and I will ever know. If a national emergency happened and the President and the Joint Chiefs of Staff needed an expert in double switching to stave off the apocalypse, Bochy would probably be, like, the third guy they’d call (La Russa would be first but would be discovered as the evil genius causing the apocalypse; Bobby Cox would probably be fishing).
But even experts screw up sometimes. Like Bochy did during the top of the 13th in last night’s Padres-Giants game:
“I messed up the double switch,” the Giants’ manager said after the Giants lost 5-3 to the Padres in 13 innings. “I got distracted. I was out there arguing, and I totally brain-cramped on that.”
What happened was this: Bochy made a pitching change, putting in Jake Dunning for Jose Mijares. OK. As part of that change he put Posey in the game at first base (Posey had had the night off to that point) and put him in for Brandon Belt in the seven slot in the lineup. Problem: Bochy really wanted Posey to hit in the nine slot for Guillermo Quiroz, who would be leading off the botton of the 13th.
As a result of double switching in Posey, rather than simply having him pinch hit for Quiroz, he ensured that Posey would never bat in the game. Quiroz led off the inning, grounded out and three batters later the game was over.
There’s obviously no guarantee that Posey would have done anything had he batted, but we’ll never know.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)