Jun 18, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Late last night a bus carrying the Twins’ rookie-ball team “was involved in a wrong-way interstate crash in Florida that killed the driver of the other car,” according to the Associated Press.
According to police no one on the Elizabethton Twins’ team bus was injured, but the driver of a Honda that was “traveling south in the northbound lanes on Interstate 295 when it collided head-on with the bus” has died.
Twins president Dave St. Peter wrote on Twitter that “the bus driver saw the car coming and tried to pull over to the side of the road but was still hit by the car.”
FCN-TV reporter Jacob Long tweeted out a picture of the scene, which showed a second bus picking up the team following the accident.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)