Jun 18, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Indians closer Chris Perez is scheduled to be activated from the disabled list this Friday. But there’s reason to wonder whether that will happen.
Perez made a rehab appearance — his second — on Tuesday evening with the Double-A Akron Aeros and got absolutely shelled. Facing the Yankees’ Double-A affiliate from Trenton, New Jersey, the 27-year-old right-hander yielded five hits — three of which were homers — and five earned runs. The only possible positive takeaway is that he made it to 23 pitches, with 17 strikes, and had no issues with his shoulder.
Perez has been on the disabled list since May 27 due to right rotator cuff tendinitis.
He and his wife were charged with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance on June 7 after having a five-ounce package of marijuana delivered to their house in a Cleveland suburb. They pleaded not guilty.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (86)