Jun 18, 2013, 9:13 PM EST
As first reported by Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the Red Sox have placed starter Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list because of a neck strain. The move was made retroactive to June 9, so the right-hander will be eligible for activation in a week.
Buchholz tested his neck with a bullpen session on Tuesday evening and evidently didn’t feel so hot.
But it’s not thought to be an overly serious injury.
Buchholz, 28, has posted a 9-0 record, 1.71 ERA and 1.02 WHIP over 12 outings this season, fanning 81 batters in 84 1/3 innings. Allen Webster is expected to start in his place this weekend in Detroit.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)