Jun 18, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
As first reported by Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the Red Sox have placed starter Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list because of a neck strain. The move was made retroactive to June 9, so the right-hander will be eligible for activation in a week.
Buchholz tested his neck with a bullpen session on Tuesday evening and evidently didn’t feel so hot.
But it’s not thought to be an overly serious injury.
Buchholz, 28, has posted a 9-0 record, 1.71 ERA and 1.02 WHIP over 12 outings this season, fanning 81 batters in 84 1/3 innings. Allen Webster is expected to start in his place this weekend in Detroit.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)