Jun 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Span has fouled two different balls off his foot this month but has managed to avoid a major injury. He is starting in center field and batting leadoff on Tuesday against Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee.
Span, 29, has batted .256/.312/.349 with zero homers and seven stolen bases in 64 games this season for Washington. The .281/.353/.385 career hitter was acquired from the Twins this past winter for pitching prospect Alex Meyer.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)