Jun 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Span has fouled two different balls off his foot this month but has managed to avoid a major injury. He is starting in center field and batting leadoff on Tuesday against Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee.
Span, 29, has batted .256/.312/.349 with zero homers and seven stolen bases in 64 games this season for Washington. The .281/.353/.385 career hitter was acquired from the Twins this past winter for pitching prospect Alex Meyer.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)