Jun 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Span has fouled two different balls off his foot this month but has managed to avoid a major injury. He is starting in center field and batting leadoff on Tuesday against Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee.
Span, 29, has batted .256/.312/.349 with zero homers and seven stolen bases in 64 games this season for Washington. The .281/.353/.385 career hitter was acquired from the Twins this past winter for pitching prospect Alex Meyer.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)