Donovan Tate, a spring training no-show, has finally returned to the Padres organization

Jun 18, 2013, 8:28 PM EST

Four Seam Images Four Seam Images

Donovan Tate, the third overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, was a no-show this spring at Padres camp due to what was described by club officials as a personal matter. Now more than four months later, that personal matter has apparently been resolved.

Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Tate finally arrived at the Padres’ spring training complex in Peoria, Arizona on Monday to begin working his way back into baseball shape. He spoke with reporters Tuesday: “I left baseball in order to gain a grasp on some personal issues in my life,” said Tate. “It’s been the same kind of things that I’ve been dealing with in my life for a long time. I’ve been very blessed to be part of the Padres. They’ve been very supportive of everything I’ve gone through and haven’t given up on me.”

Tate, who received a $6.25 million signing bonus soon after being drafted, was suspended 50 games in June 2011 following a second positive test for a drug of abuse (not a performance-enhancer). The athletic outfielder is a .241/.358/.320 career hitter in the minor leagues and will turn 23 years old in September.

1. neoshweaty - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I don’t know what to make of this other than he probably went to rehab.

2. mtr75 - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I he did go to rehab, good for him. Hopefully he got himself clean. And bravo to the Padres for standing by him and supporting the kid.

• hungry joe - Jun 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

dropping $6.25 mill on the kid probably figured into that decision.

3. ramblingalb - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

He couldn’t play because he would have tested positive and been out of the game. If not for the $6M, SD would have run.

• evanwins - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I’m not sure but I don’t think PED’s are treated the same as drugs that don’t offer a performance enhancement. In other words, he can’t be banned from the game for using heroin or cocaine. They can keep suspending you but they can’t (won’t) ban you for it.

I think. At least they shouldn’t. Drug addiction is a disease so in a sense it woul dbe like banning someone for diabetes.

Anyway, best of luck to this kid. Hopefully he didn’t blow all his dough on drugs. Crack would be the only drug that can go through $6M in 4 years.

4. GoneYickitty - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

“The athletic outfielder … ”

I’m pretty sure he’s only half athletic but I’m not sure what the other half is.

5. senioreditor2 - Jun 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Another case of the Padres NOT doing their due diligence BEFORE drafting someone. Look at their recent track record (last 20 years) TERRIBLE for 1st round picks.

6. mudhead123 - Jun 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Wow, comparing drug use to diabetes??? Sounds like something a drug addict would say

7. aprudom - Jun 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. His father wastes his physical gifts in the NFL.

• aprudom - Jun 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I meant “wasted.” His dad wasted his talents back in the late ’80s.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2735)
  2. W. Myers (2490)
  3. D. Ross (2106)
  4. C. McGehee (2094)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1939)
  1. J. Shields (1836)