Jon Hamm and David Freese are “text pals”

Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT

jon hamm cardinals Getty Images

Jon Hamm is a big St. Louis Cardinals fan and Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News talked to the “Mad Men” star about a bunch of baseball topics, including:

SN: Are you friends with any of the current Cardinals?

HAMM: I know a couple of them. I wouldn’t say “friends” but I’m text pals with (David) Freese and a couple of the guys on the team. I met them at various parties after they won the World Series, and when I did the DVD stuff. I wish I could get back to St. Louis and get to more games. With the unbalanced schedule, it’s harder and harder. They only come out one time to (Los Angeles). It’s a drag. I kind of don’t understand the unbalanced schedule, but that’s where we are.

So, to recap: Don Draper is “text pals” with David Freese and doesn’t like the unbalanced schedule.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I feel I would appreciate this story more if I watched “Mad Men.”

Now, you give us a story where Tony Shalhoub of “Monk” is texting or Skyping with John Smoltz, and I’m there.

2. historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Mmmmmmmm

3. phillyupperdecker - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

So many poop pics are being sent back and forth from the Cards locker room to the Madmen set…at least thats what I do with my “text friends”

4. leerosenthall - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

There’s only one season left of Mad Men and I’m still waiting for Don to go to a ballgame. Maybe he’ll make it to a Mets game when the Cards are in town? (The Mets beat the Orioles in the World Series that year, after all, and series creator Matt Weiner is from Balto., so it’s possible…)

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, and Don can take Sally, leave her alone in their seats while he goes for a beer during the 7th inning stretch and shag one of the Mets’ wives in a Shea broom closet. And miss a triple play.

5. ezthinking - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Ummmm… they still play 81 games at home so the unbalanced schedule has nothing to do with anything; other than he’s obviously not a real baseball fan.

• ddusty53 - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

If he lived in STL, that would make sense. But since he lives in LA, the Cards would play the Dodgers (and Padres, since it’s only a few hours) more. which would have them in his town more often.

But you are such a bigger baseball fan then him, you can probably explain why having his team play more games in his town wouldn’t help.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3527)