Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth”

Jun 18, 2013, 2:00 PM EST

Clinic at Center of MLB Doping Scandal Getty Images

This reads like a crime thriller. It’s the story of Porter Fischer, the Biogenesis employee who took Tony Bosch’s notes and records, turned them over to the Miami New Times and unleashed the biggest PEDs scandal since BALCO. He has allowed the Miami Times to tell his story.

All kinds of unseemliness here. A large part of it involving MLB’s investigators approaching Fischer after the story broke, alternating threats and payment if he’d provide the records to Major League Baseball and agree to assist their investigation:

On February 25, Fischer finally decided to meet with two MLB investigators, both ex-NYPD cops. They started with the carrots: They’d pay Fischer just to talk. If things worked out, maybe they could even move him to a gated community. And there would be justice for the cheaters.

Fischer replied, “I don’t give a shit about you or your ballplayers. This is about self-preservation to me.”

So the ex-cops switched tactics: If someone were to sue you, they warned, it could be expensive. MLB could indemnify him from damages. “I’m not worried about court,” Fischer countered. “I’m worried about a bullet in my head.”

There is all manner of weirdness here: Fischer comes off a bit, well, dramatic. He claims that, after the story broke, his copies of the Biogenesis documents were stolen from his car and the next thing he knows Anthony Bosch is agreeing to cooperate with MLB. The implication being that, directly or otherwise, the documents he stole from Bosch were stolen back by Bosch.

But Fischer isn’t exactly operating objectively here. He says “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth as far as I’m concerned.” For getting in bed with Tony Bosch, Fischer would have us believe, but a lot of it also seems to based on the fact that he’s not a part of the deal. Understandable, I guess, especially if what he says — that MLB at one point offered him $125,000 for his documents and cooperation — represents the kind of deal Bosch got.

It’s hard to know who or what to believe here. One wonders, though, if the lawyers for any players suspended in all of this would call Fischer in their defense case. And whether that would help or hurt.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Unless you were the Red Sox during the Mitchell Investigation- then you wouldn’t think they were scumbags. You’d think they were pretty cool actually.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

So glad this investigation was launched in order to help clean up baseball’s image. Job well done, Bud.

• blacksables - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

What did you want to him to do? Ignore it?

That’s what the majority of people, to include commentors here, are always bitching about. That nothing was done, and the game was ruined, and they’re all cheaters. Screaming about the sanctity of the game and the fact that Bud didn’t stop it.

So now he’s trying to do something and people are screaming that he’s doing something and complaining about the sanctity of the game, and all that happy horseshit.

People want to pretend like it was Bud, when it most certainty wasn’t. I’m no apologist for Bud, but he and the owners tried to give the fans what they wanted at the time. Now that the truth is out, the fans want something completely different.

Rightly or wrongly, there comes a time when everyone has to choose a side, and this the side MLB has chosen. A side they’ve been forced into, because the fans (who loved the higher offenses) were okay with it until they found out how it was done, now demand satisfaction.

Baseball fans need to stop blaming everyone else and come to the realization that this is a self-inflicted wound.

And the best way to let it heal is to stop picking at it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

and the game was ruined

[Citation needed]

$7B in revenue last year and climbing shows the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

• blacksables - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Fair point, but I’m talking about the game, not the business. The fans are complaining about the records, the legacy, the history, etc.

I’m not interested in the money, because it’s not mine. The game is.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

The fans are complaining about the records, the legacy, the history, etc.

There’s been cheating in baseball since it’s inception. The Black Sox Scandal, steroids, amphetamines, cocaine issues, gambling, etc. How is this any different?

• blacksables - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

You’re just in a mood to argue, aren’t you?

Why don’t you question my punctuation next, because looking back, I missed a couple of comma’s. I’m so embarrassed.

• tuberippin - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

No, he’s not “just in a mood to argue,” he’s pointing out that your argument is assumptive and not all that rock-solid, to be quite frank.

As for high-powered offenses, there has always been more than one way to skin a cat. Yet here you are arguing that it’s entirely on the fans for wanting more high-powered offenses, with the implication that the only manner in which to achieve that is through PED usage.

And can we agree that the only thing that’s horse shit is “the sanctity of the game”? Even the term is a bunch of nonsense.

• forsch31 - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM

>>>”I made my point. If you don’t like it, disagree, but stop trying to pick at every point I made. What I said is perfectly clear, and you know it is.Tell me why I’m wrong, but don’t ask me to re-explain things that you already know to be the truth.”

He did tell you why you were wrong, and he did it very well. And your opinion is not “truth,” which is what he pointed out.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Ok, you’re wrong, and here’s how:

First you think the game is ruined, but economics says otherwise as revenue is catching the NFL, and team values are through the roof. Players are getting higher and higher salaries every year as well. So we know the game isn’t ruined, let’s go to your next assertion:

The fans are complaining about the records, the legacy, the history, etc.

Yes, and you know what else the fans are doing? Going to the games! Here’s an attached google doc* listing attendance every year after 94. On a per game basis, the worst year is ’95 with ~25000 people a game. Since ’04, the game hasn’t seen less than 30K a game, with a height of 32,696 in ’07. If people are complaining, that’s not keeping them from coming to the games.

Add in the increased revenues, ticket prices, and tv contracts, and it’s obvious people are still buying merchandise, going to games and watching them on TV. The game is super healthy, it isn’t ruined by some media driven witch hunt about PEDs.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The only flaw in your reasoning is that it assumes Bud cares about fans. He does not. He cares about the amount of money the owners are raking in. He also cares about his legacy, and I can’t help but wonder if this would be anywhere near the issue it is if Braun and ARod were not involved. Bud seems to take it personally that he has not been able to suspend either, and hopes this fixes it.

Really, I don’t hear bile about PED users coming from fans nearly as strongly as it comes from press. Usually the press that told us to cheer these heroes (or Co-Sportsmen of the Year) during the height of their “crimes.”

After Balco, Mitchell Report, Clemens Trial and Braun’s leaked positive and successful appeal, I would think MLB would try to stay away from embarrassing itself further on the issue. They have a testing program and prescribed penalties for positives. Let it work and stay away from seedy drug dealers and loser lawsuits.

• illegalblues - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM

yes, i do want him to ignore it. it takes a real self-righteous attitude to think steroids in baseball is ruining anything.

3. anotheryx - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Only deal with scumbags if you want to do something sketchy, that way you can always target their character and reliability during court.

4. sabatimus - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM

1) This is likely a pot-kettle situation; 2) apparently MLB is just fine with looking like a bunch of crooks if it can seem to be cleaning up baseball at the same time. Problem is, I really don’t think what they’re doing with Biogenesis actually constitutes cleaning up baseball. But they didn’t ask me.

5. sabatimus - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Snowden, anyone?

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Except Snowden probably does have a reason to be afraid.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

“probably” ???

If I were he I’d rather hide out in the U.S. somewhere, as our AG reluctantly conceded under threat of continuing (modern version of) filibuster that drones may not target U.S. citizens on American soil.

• sabatimus - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yes I know. Snowden was just the first person I thought of when I read that.

• spellingcops - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Snitches get stitch…er, bullets.

6. baseballici0us - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Craig, couldn’t Fischer end up in Jail for stealing those documents? Or does biogenesis not count as a medical “facility” with doctor-patient confidentiality?

• apmn - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

You mean “doctor”-patient confidentiality.

• ptfu - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Well, stealing anything from anyone could land you behind bars.

7. proudlycanadian - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

If I understand the story, it appears that this person stole some records and then had them stolen from him.

• cur68 - Jun 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM

That’s my take away, too. Oh, and he watches WAY too many movies. And believes them. And might consider putting a shirt on. And should engage in more due diligence when putting things in his body or investing. In fact, I think my takeaway is that this person needs to act with more sense overall. And he stole stuff which was then stolen from him. That too.

8. historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It seems so Florida that the records were (allegedly) stolen from his car while he was getting a spray tan. What a maroon!

• apmn - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

That was my favorite part of the story. He probably thought they would be safe hidden under his Rollerblades.

• historiophiliac - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Try not to think what he “tans” in.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Wait, was he really getting a tan (even fake?) It’s FL for pete’s sake. Sit outside for a day and you could pass as Cuban.

9. valarmorghuliss - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We know

• sabatimus - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I wish the Dark Brotherhood weren’t a bunch of wussies.

10. mvp43 - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Eye for an eye I guess. MLB will not come out of this smelling like a rose for certain. They will stoop as low as they perceive the players on that report to have done.

11. largebill - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

In related news a stoner fired by McDonalds (or substitute another company) is a little paranoid and thinks company is run by biggest scumbags on earth.

Guy could have a point, but as of now his credibility is shaky at best.

12. apkyletexas - Jun 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Levenworth Federal Penitentiary is a “gated community”, in a manner of speaking.

13. wgward - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

For a second there, I thought I was reading about Snowden and the NSA… LOL

14. Walk - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I delivered a prisoner there about twelve years ago. It is a lot nicer now, I believe they even have air conditioning at Leavenworth these days. I love the gated community implication there, made me chuckle.

15. The Rabbit - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

If I overlook the drama and the likely embellishment, his basic assertion that he was alternately offered a bribe and then subtly or directly threatened for cooperation has a big ring of truth to me.
    This is exactly the same way law enforcement has dealt with organized crime and other targets of investigations… like forever.
    MLB is going to hire people who have experience in investigative work for prosecutors. Why expect that the methods would be different?

Now..you can wake me when this all over and there is a new Commissioner who can recognize that the owners’ needs should not always be in conflict with the customers, i.e. fans.
    I think it will be a long nap.

16. evanwins - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

The people at MLB are scumbags for working with Bosch.
    Well, YOU worked with Bosch too, wouldn’t same hold true for you?
    In fact, you stole from him…and then SOLD what you STOLE. That’s textbook scumbag behavior.

And exactly who was it that was going to hurt you physically? A player representative? An MLB representative? A Bosch representative?

There is no one involved in any of this who impresses me as being even average smart…or of average decency. If this guy were one of either he would have taken the deal with the money from MLB. This will not turn out good for him.

17. jm91rs - Jun 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

MLB is a bunch of scumbags according to the guy that stole documents from his scumbag boss to leak them to a newspaper? I’m shocked this guy didn’t take $125k for the stolen documents. He must have been hoping for a lot more money, because handing over the documents (or burning them and shutting up forever) and getting the hell out of the way would have been the best way for him to get free and clear of the situation.

And what kind of moron is worried about his life because of documents he stole, but keeps those documents in his car?

• sabatimus - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I suppose keeping the documents mobile (i.e., in the car) means he can take flight with them if he needs to. At his home? No way. In a deposit box, which would be on record? No way. Perhaps in a location of an unknown third party…but that’s tenuous too, given that including a third party at all potentially sets one up to be ratted out.

• jm91rs - Jun 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I can think of 100 safe places to hide stolen documents where no one would find them. Not one of those places is in my car. The first place they’ll look is your house or your car.

18. popesrustynail - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Everyone knows that the people running the Vatican are the biggest scumbags on earth. The MLB guys only come in like 5th place….

19. thebadguyswon - Jun 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Selig should have been thrown out on his ear in 2002, when the steriod scandal first broke. But the owners know he makes them money, so they turn a blind eye.

20. bbk1000 - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM

A question to all.

If Bud Selig was an animal, and we wanted to keep him from reproducing, would he more likely be spayed or neutered?

Just asking…