Jun 18, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Less than 48 hours ago manager Charlie Manuel was quoted as saying that Carlos Ruiz was “four or five days” away from rejoining the Phillies, but the catcher was just activated from the disabled list for tonight’s game.
Ruiz returns after missing the past month with a hamstring injury and he’s played just 16 games all season due to the injury and his earlier 25-game suspension.
Backup catcher Erik Kratz is out following knee surgery, so the Phillies were splitting catching duties between Humberto Quintero and Steve LeRud. Which might explain why they were willing to rush Ruiz back a few days early.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12