Jun 18, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Less than 48 hours ago manager Charlie Manuel was quoted as saying that Carlos Ruiz was “four or five days” away from rejoining the Phillies, but the catcher was just activated from the disabled list for tonight’s game.
Ruiz returns after missing the past month with a hamstring injury and he’s played just 16 games all season due to the injury and his earlier 25-game suspension.
Backup catcher Erik Kratz is out following knee surgery, so the Phillies were splitting catching duties between Humberto Quintero and Steve LeRud. Which might explain why they were willing to rush Ruiz back a few days early.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)