Jun 18, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Less than 48 hours ago manager Charlie Manuel was quoted as saying that Carlos Ruiz was “four or five days” away from rejoining the Phillies, but the catcher was just activated from the disabled list for tonight’s game.
Ruiz returns after missing the past month with a hamstring injury and he’s played just 16 games all season due to the injury and his earlier 25-game suspension.
Backup catcher Erik Kratz is out following knee surgery, so the Phillies were splitting catching duties between Humberto Quintero and Steve LeRud. Which might explain why they were willing to rush Ruiz back a few days early.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)