Jun 18, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Less than 48 hours ago manager Charlie Manuel was quoted as saying that Carlos Ruiz was “four or five days” away from rejoining the Phillies, but the catcher was just activated from the disabled list for tonight’s game.
Ruiz returns after missing the past month with a hamstring injury and he’s played just 16 games all season due to the injury and his earlier 25-game suspension.
Backup catcher Erik Kratz is out following knee surgery, so the Phillies were splitting catching duties between Humberto Quintero and Steve LeRud. Which might explain why they were willing to rush Ruiz back a few days early.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 1
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 52
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 9
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 8
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Bryce Harper continues to lead N.L All-Star voting; Buster Posey passes Yadier Molina 19
- Rob Manfred expects there to be spring training games in Cuba next year 17
- Stephen Strasburg has a left trapezius strain 19
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (183)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)