Jun 19, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Everyone’s going crazy for Yasiel Puig, but NL All-Star manager Bruce Bochy thinks the All-Stars he picks to fill out his roster need a few more miles on the odometer.
Bochy spoke with Jim Bowden and Casey Stern of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM today about the possibility of Puig on the squad:
“Well, Jim, I’ve got to be honest here, that would be really hard for me to consider that. And I’ve already had that question. I guess there was somebody who wrote they would like to see him there and that he deserves to go because this game is for the fans and they want to see not just the best players, but the most interesting or intriguing players. I would have a hard time picking somebody who has been here three weeks, to be honest.
Puig isn’t on the ballot and with Clayton Kershaw being his usually awesome self, Puig won’t have to be there as a “we need a Dodger” pick. And that stuff aside, Bochy doesn’t strike me as a guy who is going to respond to some June breakout/mania like so many others.
Although it would be sweet if, just to troll the world, he decided to name Juan Perez to the All-Star team based on a week’s worth of stellar defensive play.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)