Jun 19, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Everyone’s going crazy for Yasiel Puig, but NL All-Star manager Bruce Bochy thinks the All-Stars he picks to fill out his roster need a few more miles on the odometer.
Bochy spoke with Jim Bowden and Casey Stern of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM today about the possibility of Puig on the squad:
“Well, Jim, I’ve got to be honest here, that would be really hard for me to consider that. And I’ve already had that question. I guess there was somebody who wrote they would like to see him there and that he deserves to go because this game is for the fans and they want to see not just the best players, but the most interesting or intriguing players. I would have a hard time picking somebody who has been here three weeks, to be honest.
Puig isn’t on the ballot and with Clayton Kershaw being his usually awesome self, Puig won’t have to be there as a “we need a Dodger” pick. And that stuff aside, Bochy doesn’t strike me as a guy who is going to respond to some June breakout/mania like so many others.
Although it would be sweet if, just to troll the world, he decided to name Juan Perez to the All-Star team based on a week’s worth of stellar defensive play.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 23
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)