Bud Selig has no plans to expand or eliminate the DH

Jun 19, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT

Jon Paul Morosi spoke with Bud Selig about a few things today. This one came up:

I assume that this means radical realignment that would cause multiple teams to switch leagues. Unless there is some geographic divide on the DH I’m unaware of. Like, you think we Midwesterners are go-along, get-along types until you try to take our designated hitters from us at which point it’s war.

I give this a “meh.” As I’ve said before, I prefer life without the DH, but I am realistic and think that the better course for baseball is to make it uniform. And no matter what Bud says, I think it’s far more likely that the owners will give the players a universal DH — designated hitters, on average, make more money, you see — in exchange for some concession during a collective bargaining session as opposed to this being some function of a realignment scheme.

1. Matt Vee - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Maybe it’s my AL bias, but pitchers hitting isn’t generally entertaining baseball, and pinch hitting pitchers who are having a good day on the mound is almost less fun.

The DH for all of MLB or end interleague.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM

“The DH for all of MLB or end interleague.”

End interleague play. And not just because of the “Field Goal Kicker-esque” DH rule

• someguyinva - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM

15 teams per league means interleague isn’t going anywhere.

I’d like to see both leagues play by the same set of rules, and as much as I consider myself a purist, I’m willing to concede that 40 years of the DH hasn’t ruined baseball.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM

It’s not going away, I totally agree. And yes, 15 teams in each league makes it impossible. Just saying it ought to – the novelty is long gone, and acreates havoc on teh schedule. Plus, would be great to play teams not in your own division more then 6 times a year

• Old Gator - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

True. 40 years of uniformed mindless mammoth hunting has only ruined half of baseball.

2. paperlions - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Is a universal DH like those damned universal remotes, where the codes to make them work rarely do? That could explain some things (e.g. V-Mart, A-Done).

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

The codes make them work. You just have to pick the right one:

Sony – Use one of the following:
      0156, 0157, 1023, 1076, 1198, 2011, 2472, 2998, 3004, 3067, 3172, 4279, 4590…..

• paperlions - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

You should forward those to the Tigers and White Sox, might help.

• historiophiliac - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Is that VHS compatible because paper is too cheap to upgrade.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

VHS and Beta

• paperlions - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’ll have you know I have a combo DVD-VHS player….I don’t actually have anything to put in the VHS side, but the DVD player still works.

V-Mart is the betamax version of recording formats, it seemed like a good idea at the time, it just didn’t work out.

• historiophiliac - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM

That’s really smart, paper. That way you don’t have to keep hooking and unhooking your coaxial cables when you switch back-and-forth between watching movies and TV — although you still have to get up to adjust your rabbit ears, so it’s probably sixes.

• paperlions - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I had to do away with the rabbit ears when they killed the analog signal…that made me get cable for the first time in a decade plus. Also, TTTHHHHBBBBPPPPT!

• historiophiliac - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Neener, neener. I made the rabbit ears work…but then I just got the PS3 and stream stuff, so…yeah. Sucker. Buying cable.

• historiophiliac - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Bite me.

• paperlions - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Okay.

• historiophiliac - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM

ha ha!

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

“Why do something when you can do nothing?” – Bud Selig

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

“Why ask why” – Bud Dry

I probably dated myself with that one, making a Bud Dry reference….ehhh

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Just don’t tell me you love me man.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I do not love the man screwed up every decision about the 2008 World Series.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM

By the way, you can basically copy/paste that for any decision Bud’s facing. Oakland needs a new stadium? DH rule? Inter-league Play? Instant Replay? Umpires incompetent? Players throwing at heads? Players on Steroids for 15 years? Do we really need to keep going?

• paperlions - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Well, you probably need to understand what Selig is capable of doing, because he is not capable of making any rule changes or decisions, he doesn’t even get a vote, just the owners do….but your failure to realize this means he is doing his job very well, as a large component of his job is to be the fall guy for unpopular decisions that aren’t his decision to make at all….but the owners of the 30 franchises.

4. Caught Looking - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

“significant geographic realignment”???

Meaning teams east of the Mississippi have the pitchers hit and teams west of the Mississippi use the DH?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Meaning California gets swallowed into the ocean.

• card0109 - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’m guessing that Bud is thinking more along the lines of California falling into the ocean. Then he wouldn’t have to deal with the Oakland/San Jose issue anymore…

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Jinx! Buy me a coke!

• Old Gator - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Is that how Bud Light gets his kicks – contemplating the frustration of millions of people?

No. By causing the frustration of millions of people.

5. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

“significant geographic realignment.”

Like earthquakes and tsunamis and volcanoes? What the hell is he talking about?…

So there are teams and fans in certain parts of the country that are for/against the DH? This, I assume, is his answer? That’s news to me… He threw something out there that sounded so smart and in depth it eliminated any further questioning or debate… Well, you win this one, Bud.

• Old Gator - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Contract Yellowstone!

• yahmule - Jun 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Probably more likely that the Yellowstone Caldera will contract all of us.

• Old Gator - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

No thermodynamics in your belly, eh? Pyroclastic flows will cause us to expand.

6. rohlo - Jun 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

IMO the Astros got the chaft being moved to the AL. there should atleast be one of each league NL and AL In texas. dbacks wanted the AL ,but bud said ni and bud created the dam n uneven balance when he moved his brewers to the NL. could of had the dbacks in AL west and astros move over to NL west. thus dbacks/padres being interleague rivals(right next door alot of az people live in san diego and alot of san diegans live in az) texas and houston would still be interleague rivals.. but now you have the dbacks and rangers as interleague rivals,padres and mariners interleague rivals,and astros and rockies interleague rivals… those arent rivalries bud selig…

the astros were a national league team for 50 years as the dbacks only less than half that..now all the cubs,cards,braves fans in texas have to drive to florida,georgia,etc to see their teams or national league ball! makes no sense and the pirates phillies same league has never turned into a rivalry in pennsylvania.they arent even in the same division! realignment is needed big time!!!!

7. Minoring In Baseball - Jun 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM

In this era, I think the DH is just the way to go. The rule differencial gives the NL such a huge advantage in the World Series. That needs to be changed somehow.

8. Bob - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Typical Bud. Give an answer that contains no logic surrounding the question at hand. To base a universal DH decision on geographical realignment makes no sense, even if what he really means is that there will be no universal DH until the leagues’ traditional alignment is blown up.

And save the whole bit of Bud’s powers are limited. He has a way of leaning on owners when he wants something done.

9. rcali - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Pitchers batting. So hard to watch.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3272)