Jun 19, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
Indians closer Chris Perez was supposed to return from the disabled list on Friday. But it won’t happen.
According to Nick Camino of Cleveland’s WTAM 1100, the Indians are pulling back from their original plan for Perez because he got hammered in a rehab appearance on Tuesday night at Double-A Akron and they’re worried that his mechanics are off.
Perez will play long toss on Wednesday evening and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Friday.
The right-hander has been sidelined since May 26 because of discomfort in his throwing shoulder. Vinnie Pestano will continue to fill in at closer for the Indians, who are currently four games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)