Jun 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Look, I love Harvey and Wheeler and wish them nothing but success in all they do outside of games against the Braves. And I think anyone wishing injury on any player — like, say, Joe Simpson seemed to do in yesterday’s game, proving again that he’s awful — is just horrible.
But Mets fans would do well to remember the hard lessons of the last crop of would-be superstar pitchers that came up and were tasked with leading them out of darkness. Young pitching is the most exciting thing in baseball. It’s also the thing upon which you can depend the least. Those arms and elbow will break your heart, even if we hope against hope that they stay healthy.
Also: Don Mattingly: why isn’t he in the Hall of Fame?
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)