Jun 19, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Joe Torre’s daughter, 44-year-old Christina Torre, was walking down the street in Brooklyn when she spotted a 1-year-old baby hanging from a storefront awning.
Here’s what happened next, according to the New York Daily News:
Suddenly, the child dropped–but he landed safely in Torre’s outstretched arms, the sources and witnesses said. “The woman caught the baby,” said Kristen Bramsen, 48. “The baby was shaken. Everyone was going up to the woman and hugging her. I hugged her.” …
Cops later determined that the little boy slipped through a piece of cardboard placed next to an air conditioning unit in the window of the family’s second-floor home, sources said.
Police told the newspaper that the baby’s parents could be charged with endangering the welfare of a child and the couple’s three other kids, all of whom are five or younger, were taken by children’s services.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)