Jun 19, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Brandon DuBreuil of the Manny Does Taiwan blog passes along some Asian news reports which say that Manny Ramirez has been removed from the roster of the Taiwanese team for which he has been playing and will leave the country on June 21. There are mixed reports about why he is leaving, with some saying he will be going to Japan. Whether that is to play for an NPB team or if Japan merely figures in his travel plans is unclear.
As DuBreuil noted in his feature on Ramirez in Taiwan over at Sports on Earth yesterday, Ramirez has been a boon to the EDA Rhinos team for which he has been playing and the Chinese Professional Baseball League as a whole. His team has gone from last place to near the top of the division since he’s arrived and attendance has increased a crazy 412% with TV ratings jumping 221%. Ramirez is near the top of the league in batting average, homers, RBIs and walks.
It’ll be interesting to see if his success in Taiwan has led to a chance to play in Japan. And if so, it’ll be interesting to see if he can still perform at the considerably higher level that the NPB represents.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)