Jun 19, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Brandon DuBreuil of the Manny Does Taiwan blog passes along some Asian news reports which say that Manny Ramirez has been removed from the roster of the Taiwanese team for which he has been playing and will leave the country on June 21. There are mixed reports about why he is leaving, with some saying he will be going to Japan. Whether that is to play for an NPB team or if Japan merely figures in his travel plans is unclear.
As DuBreuil noted in his feature on Ramirez in Taiwan over at Sports on Earth yesterday, Ramirez has been a boon to the EDA Rhinos team for which he has been playing and the Chinese Professional Baseball League as a whole. His team has gone from last place to near the top of the division since he’s arrived and attendance has increased a crazy 412% with TV ratings jumping 221%. Ramirez is near the top of the league in batting average, homers, RBIs and walks.
It’ll be interesting to see if his success in Taiwan has led to a chance to play in Japan. And if so, it’ll be interesting to see if he can still perform at the considerably higher level that the NPB represents.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)