Jun 19, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Everth Cabrera is in the midst of a breakout year as the Padres’ starting shortstop, hitting .305 with an .800 OPS and MLB-leading 31 stolen bases in 69 games, but now he’s headed to the disabled list.
Cabrera strained his hamstring Sunday while attempting a stolen base and the Padres have classified the injury as “mild.”
Alexi Amarista and Pedro Ciriaco–who was acquired from the Red Sox last week–are the fill-in options at shortstop as Cabrera joins fellow regulars Cameron Maybin, Yonder Alonso, and Jedd Gyorko on the DL.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)