Jun 19, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Everth Cabrera is in the midst of a breakout year as the Padres’ starting shortstop, hitting .305 with an .800 OPS and MLB-leading 31 stolen bases in 69 games, but now he’s headed to the disabled list.
Cabrera strained his hamstring Sunday while attempting a stolen base and the Padres have classified the injury as “mild.”
Alexi Amarista and Pedro Ciriaco–who was acquired from the Red Sox last week–are the fill-in options at shortstop as Cabrera joins fellow regulars Cameron Maybin, Yonder Alonso, and Jedd Gyorko on the DL.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 46
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 21
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 49
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)