Jun 19, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
This could either be great fun or a total disaster:
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) June 18, 2013
Since the Dodgers are on the east coast Scully isn’t travelling with the team and will presumably be watching on TV along with us.
On the one hand I’m sorta worried that Scully and Twitter aren’t exactly made for each other. The joy of Scully’s commentary comes partially for the pleasure of hearing his voice and the fact that his descriptions of game action are brief and succinct. That sort of thing will likely come off flat on Twitter if he tries to do play-by-play. Meanwhile, the joy of his non-play-by-play-commentary — stories and player background and things — comes from the fact that he can weave them in nicely with the game action. That doesn’t exactly jibe with Twitter’s 140-character limit.
On the other hand: I have this feeling that the Dodgers know this and are going to have someone transcribing what Scully says, thereby increasing the odds that it’s nicely polished.
Either way, it should be interesting.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)