Albert Pujols is finally feeling good (and hitting)

Jun 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Albert Pujols AP

Between his poor production at the plate and labored running on the bases it’s been painful to watch Albert Pujols this season, but the future Hall of Famer has quietly started to turn things around this month.

Pujols is hitting .313 with four homers, five doubles, and a .952 OPS in 17 games this month, compared to .246 with a .733 OPS in April and May, and the 33-year-old told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com: “I feel right now like my old me, like when I was in St. Louis.”

Pujols also admitted that he never felt good last season: “There were some streaks here and there that I hit, but I was battling. I never got to a point where I could say, ‘Holy cow, that’s my bat speed.'”

Obviously hitting well for a few weeks in June isn’t conclusive proof of Pujols returning to his old self, but the Angels will take any signs of optimism they can get at this point and he’s made some adjustments at the plate to take less of a toll on his knee and foot problems.

1. cardslifer - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The bitterness has worn off on this Cards fan.
    Glad to see he’s pickin it up.
    I really hope at some point the Angels make it the Busch Standium and the fans realize what he gave.
    Ill without a doubt be there to give him a heartfelt standing O.

• yahmule - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

A lot of people would like to see that happen.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I am with you lifer. I also have no doubt those in attendance will pay him is due respect.
      How could you question otherwise?

• jm91rs - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I’m just curious, would the bitterness have worn off if Albert had been posting even career average numbers in LA? It has to help that the Cards have the best record in baseball and it’s crystal clear that a massive contract like he was looking for would have crushed that team for a decade.

Regardless of the reasons, I’m glad people are coming around. He’s a good guy and one of the best to ever wear a Cards uniform.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Great point JM. I am still disappointed. It’s just that I am no longer bitter.
        Time has a way of removing that. He was in an Angels uniform all of last year. The newness of it all has subsided. I will be forever grateful for everything he gave the organization. Again…still disappointed. I wanted him to play his entire career in a Cardinals uniform. But it wasn’t meant to be.
        The organization made the right call (as they normally do).
        So I look forward to him being inducted at Cooperstown in a Cardinals hat.

• skids003 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Guys, your organization does do a great job of “reloading” every year. Hats off to you from a Braves fan.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I never wanted him to leave St. Louis, he belongs their!
      I still wish him the best, Cards are pretty good too.

• wretchu - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Ditto. While I certainly am still disappointed, it ultimately worked out well for the Cardinals, and even at the time he left I realized that it would probably be the best thing for the franchise long-term. If we had him around at $220M, we probably can’t resign Waino or Molina, Craig is without a true position (still don’t trust that guy long-term in the OF), and it makes signing guys like Miller, Rosenthal and Wacha that more difficult in a few years.

2. lyon810 - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM

As an Angels fan I’m glad to see some Cards fans showing Albert some support. He didn’t leave like Hamilton did by burning every bridge and criticizing the franchise and its fanbase. He gave you the best years of his career, two world championships including one in his final season.

Both Cardinal management and Albert were to blame for how it ended. They let it go too late thinking he would never leave, he didn’t want to give them a discount. Either way, he’s a class act and no love should be lost between the two sides.

• cohnjusack - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Both Cardinal management and Albert were to blame for how it ended

No, neither are to blame. The Angels are. They offered an absolutely insane contract the Cardinals would never match and Pujols would never turn down.

• gibbyfan - Jun 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Very well said Cohnjusack……..I think teams like the Angels and others with their unlimited $$ and reckless spending are in the end not good for baseball. As they begin to look foolish rather than inflating their egos, I am hoping that changes. Your comment goes right to my sentiment.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Texas didn’t treat Hamilton so good, don’t muddy the guys water now.
      Don’t shite where you eat buddy!

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM

oh please, Texas and Nolan Ryan wasn’t all that innocent now, don’t
      shite where you eat buddy!

• cardslifer - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I’m not sure anyone is to blame really. It’s business, and many fans don’t seem to grasp it.
      Many people would love to see Pujols’s legacy end like a fairy tale but in professional sports money usually keeps that from happening. (Now-a-days atleast)
      It just hurt alot of fans because of Albert’s impact while he was here.
      He was an idol and icon to so many people and more importantly young kids.

I agree that time is really the only way things get better and by the time Albert comes back many Cardinals fans will realize what he gave.

What Albert gave separated The Cardianls from about 25 other franchises in MLB.

3. foreverchipper10 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

4. jimmyt - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I’ve never been bitter. I am just glad we in St. Louis got the best ten years. I also hope situations like this will knock some sense into the teams that drive up the cost of baseball with these insane contracts.

5. losanginsight - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Pau Gasol has healthier feet and knees.

6. losanginsight - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Pau Gasol has healthier knees and feet.

7. atomickid5 - Jun 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Born in Missouri, grew up in Anaheim…..so I am a Cardinal fan (NL) and
    Angel fan (AL).
    Of course it was a sad day to see AP leave STL………but as an Angel fan also,
    it was like wow……really?? My thought was, well, only time will tell if this is a good move
    or not. First year in AL, AP had 80 extra base hits…50 doubles, 30 HRs, 100+ RBI.
    Pretty good numbers…only two players in AL had more extra base hits in 2012,
    Miguel Cabrera and Robinson Cano.
    So his first season was not a failure by any means.
    Albert is a good guy and a good teammate and is 100% lock for HOF as a Cardinal.
    His first 10-11 years as a Cardinal were, really, quite unbelievable.
    Good luck Albert………go Cardinals, lets get going Angels.

8. stex52 - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Cards couldn’t have nailed down Wainwright, Pujols and Molina. They made a very reasonable choice. Albert decided he needed the most money.

No one is “at fault.” Business just pushed them in different directions.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate