Jun 20, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
The last we heard on Alex Rodriguez, he was set to face live pitching for the first time since his January hip surgery. As he continues to ramp up baseball activities, his rehab is apparently going off without a hitch. In fact, he’s receiving rave reviews for his progress.
Here’s the skinny from CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman:
Alex Rodriguez’s recent progress is said by people around the Yankees to have been dramatic, with one person calling it “fantastic” and another even speculating A-Rod could possibly begin to play rehab games just after the All-Star break.
There have been dire predictions about A-Rod’s future based on the circumstances of a player in his late 30s undergoing two major hip surgeries and all the rest of his history. But one Yankees person, hearing of his recent progress, marveled Wednesday about Rodriguez.
“He may beat everyone back,” the Yankees person said, meaning all the many other injured Yankees.
Of course, that’s assuming Rodriguez doesn’t receive a suspension for his alleged connection to Biogenesis first.
While many Yankees fans would like to see Rodriguez gone, he suddenly looks like a potential upgrade now that Kevin Youkilis is at risk of missing the rest of the season following back surgery. Entering play tonight, New York’s third baseman were tied for last in the AL in home runs and ranked 23rd in the majors in slugging percentage and 22nd in OPS.
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 0
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 39
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 8
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)