Jun 20, 2013, 7:23 PM EST
The last we heard on Alex Rodriguez, he was set to face live pitching for the first time since his January hip surgery. As he continues to ramp up baseball activities, his rehab is apparently going off without a hitch. In fact, he’s receiving rave reviews for his progress.
Here’s the skinny from CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman:
Alex Rodriguez’s recent progress is said by people around the Yankees to have been dramatic, with one person calling it “fantastic” and another even speculating A-Rod could possibly begin to play rehab games just after the All-Star break.
There have been dire predictions about A-Rod’s future based on the circumstances of a player in his late 30s undergoing two major hip surgeries and all the rest of his history. But one Yankees person, hearing of his recent progress, marveled Wednesday about Rodriguez.
“He may beat everyone back,” the Yankees person said, meaning all the many other injured Yankees.
Of course, that’s assuming Rodriguez doesn’t receive a suspension for his alleged connection to Biogenesis first.
While many Yankees fans would like to see Rodriguez gone, he suddenly looks like a potential upgrade now that Kevin Youkilis is at risk of missing the rest of the season following back surgery. Entering play tonight, New York’s third baseman were tied for last in the AL in home runs and ranked 23rd in the majors in slugging percentage and 22nd in OPS.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)