Jun 20, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
Dan Uggla has always had the reputation as a free-swinging slugger, but he has been particularly strikeout-prone this season. And it appears that there could be an explanation for his struggles.
Braves assistant hitting coach Scott Fletcher told Jeff Schultz of the the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today that Uggla is dealing with vision problems and could require LASIK surgery. The 33-year-old was out of the starting lineup tonight against the Mets while Tyler Pastornicky made the start at second base.
“Well, now you have the situation with his eyes. His vision – it’s something that’s been bothering him for a while and only now is it something he’s really taking care of.
“He went to the eye doctor today and he might end up having to do Lasik. … I think they’re just trying to see if he’s a candidate right now. There’s certain balls and stuff he said he wasn’t seeing well. At times he’s flinching on balls that are good pitches and it’s like, ‘Why am I not seeing that ball better?’ So we’ll see how it goes with that.”
Uggla is hitting .194 with 92 strikeouts in 270 plate appearances this season, good enough (or bad enough, really) for a strikeout rate of 34.1 percent. Only Houston’s Chris Carter (38.4 percent) has struck out more often this season. Uggla’s strikeout rate increased from 23.2 percent in 2011 to 26.7 percent last year, so he has been trending in the wrong direction for a while now. The Braves still owe him $13 million in 2014 and 2015, so it’s in their best interests to explore any and all ways to get him back on track.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)